Full timing in a class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoobag

My wife & I are going to be retiring to full time RVing soon and were considering the cost vs. convenience between a class A & a class C. We're going to be buying a toy hauler so I can bring my motorcycle and haul my flea market stock & tables.....
    Now we've looked at both some very nice class A's as well as some very nice large class C's.....the only MAIN difference I see is the loss of being able to spin the captains chairs around & use them for room seating...otherwise that & having to physically leave the coach,(unless ya climb through the hole),to get into the back...I can';t see what would warrant such a cost variation between the 2 classes.
    They can both be outfitted BASICALLY the same,(variations in gas & water holding tank volumes & the like notwithstanding),both have very nice slide outs...both come in decent lengths...where's the big cost increase? Am I missing something obvious? We'd LOVE to spend $100,000 less on our coach & go with a class C if possible naturally.....
    Any input will be greatly appreciated......  8)

I've never owned a Class C, but I'm the new owner of a Class A Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N.  My wife and I love it.  I don't think that we could get the floor plan in a Class C.  We have great visibility while driving, and my wife has even taken a bath while I was driving down the highway (not recommended, but she wanted to do it just once to fulfill a dream of hers).  We paid $79,000 at Sun Coast RV in Jacksonville, FL.  We looked at many motorhomes at many dealers, and either the motorhome or the dealer wasn't satisfactory.  We wound up purchasing it in early December at the RV dealer that was closest to where we lived at the time!  We drove it out to California where we now live.

the only MAIN difference I see

The differences may not be visible because they have more to do with what's underneath or behind, e.g. quality.  If you can possibly visit some manufacturers and take their factory tours before purchasing, you can get a better idea of what I mean.  There are well made coaches, satisfactory coaches, and mediocre coaches.  It takes some hard looking sometimes to distinguish between them.  And it's constantly changing so it's difficult for others of us to help.  An example would be a once-reputable manufacturer who is starting to be in trouble financiallly and starts cutting corners too much.  The result will be shoddy workmanship, lack of detailed electrical diagrams, and the like.  If you see two coaches you like, compare fit and finish, try to find out more about what's under the wall and floors (e.g. insulation, etc.), and other more obscure details like whether the holding tanks are in a heated compartment.  That often will help you determine which coach to buy and/or why there is a price difference.  Good luck! 

ArdraF

We've owned both Class A and Class C. We definitely prefer the Class A. It's not just a matter of turning around the capitan's chairs. The Class A just has a more open, spacious feel. Remember, there's no over cab bunk or storage area, the coach doesn't lose 20-24" when it bends in to the cab area, and you can walk easier from the front to the back area. Go to a show or dealer and try sitting in the living area of equal size Class As and Class Cs and see what you think.

Wendy
cold in Cortez

Shayne said:
By Gosh I believe Wendy has finally been converted.   

Nah, I've always liked Class As. But for what we were doing before, the Class C suited us quite well. And the Class A versus Class C decision depends a lot on what you're going to do with it, how much you're going to travel, your budget and how many bodies you want to sleep. No particular RV is perfect for all RVers.

Wendy
cold in Cortez

You got that right kiddo and we just give our opinion which vary as to their use and our desires.  I was just pulling your chain a bit.

for what we were doing before, the Class C suited us quite well. And the Class A versus Class C decision depends a lot on what you're going to do with it,

So true, Wendy!  We've had two VW poptops, three Cs (18', 22', 30') and two As (34', 40').  The smaller ones were great when we were still working.  We could park them in our driveway which was nice.  On our last big trip in the 30' gas-powered C we were going over the I-70 pass at Eisenhower Tunnel and creeping along while the diesel pushers were passing us.  At some point, Jerry said "I want a diesel pusher" and that's when we moved up to the 34' Windsor.  Wouldn't really want to move beyond our current 40-footer, but then there are others who love larger.  Like you said, it's how you live and travel that determines your needs.  Every move upward we felt like we had moved into a palace.  :D  I agree with going to a show and sitting in various RVs.  At one show we were in a Windsor 34' and there were eight people in it at the same time.  Another lady and I were sitting at the dining table and we realized it was quite comfortable with that many folk standing around chatting.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom