Fulltime in Minnesota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IBTripping

I had the same situation once. Sounded like a gunshot every time a branch or tree broke. Scared me at first, worrying that someone was shooting at me.

p38fln

You patched the membrane roof with metal? Temporary patch?

See post 77. Metal roof..
I don't know what I'd do if it was a membrane roof lol from everything I've heard they're more trouble than they're worth. Seems they're mostly so you can't hear it rain or something? My uncle had his membrane roof rip loose somewhere in Kansas on his Grand Design then had to wait 6 months for the dealer to get to it. I'm totally happy with my super easy to patch metal roof.

Kirk

I'm totally happy with my super easy to patch metal roof.
I had thought that you said it was a metal roof but the before picture looks so ragged it made me wonder. As to which is better, I'm glad that you prefer metal since that is what you have. Each type has it's advantages. I have patched EDPM, TPO, and aluminum although never on my own RV.

p38fln

I had thought that you said it was a metal roof but the before picture looks so ragged it made me wonder. As to which is better, I'm glad that you prefer metal since that is what you have. Each type has it's advantages. I have patched EDPM, TPO, and aluminum although never on my own RV.
Definitely metal. I believe it's aluminum because it has that odd color oxidized aluminum gets. The edges where the branch went through are shiny

p38fln

I would bet that it is as I have never seen a metal RV roof that isn't, although it is possible that some exist. Is the patch of aluminum or steel? Galvanic action between the aluminum and steel or galvanized parts can lead to severe corrosion.
It's steel unfortunately. I had to send someone else to the store and they swore up and down that there weren't any aluminum patches although the website said they had them. Sounds like I need to get a little bit more pissy about going myself to find the stuff :)

p38fln

So we're up to SEVEN trees falling on the camper. For some reason, it's leaking between the nose cap and the roof (three trees hit there). No cracks but the seal is obviously screwed up. Thinking of brushing the snow off and using Eternabond type tape to tape over it for now, would that work?

Three trees hit the front, another one hit the AC (previous post) and then three more hit the back including one that ripped an 8 inch gash down the sheet metal between the rear ID and marker lights. I have now decided that I absolutely hate trees. Once summer gets here I'm going to see if I can find a junkyard with this era of camper that has the sheet metal so I can just slap it over the hole and weld it on, for now I just taped over it.

On the plus side, my Starlink Internet is working MUCH better

Top Bottom