Funky Peanut Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi,

Since the grocery store is quite a ways from me in Emory i usually do alot of my shopping at the dollar general store.  I have been using the Clover Valley brand of peanut butter for awhile now since the name brand is so expensive. 

I ran out but i had a new jar of peanut butter in the pantry and for the first few times i had jelly with it so i didnt really taste it so much.  But then i had a spoon full the other day and it smells like peanut shells.  I still had the old jar in the trash so i smelled that one and no smell at all, and if there was a smell it was very light.  But this new jar (same brand, same size, same product) has a strong smell of peanut shells. It reminds me of a bar floor smell in some of the dives i used to visit as a young adult. 

Peanut shells have a very distinctive small (if you have ever smelled them you wont forget it), the jar is dated good till april 2019.  At first i thought well maybe  somehow in the factory when they grinded up the peanuts they got some shell dust in the mix, but some here have said that it might be rancid but it has not made me sick yet, its just the smell is kinda funky to deal with.

Anyone experience this before ?

Is it the same brand as Clover Valley? Not all peanut butter is made the same. Off brands differs greatly from national brand, just a matter of taste.

Love peanut butter, best stuff in the world.

Yes i love it too :)    and yes same jar size, same brand, both jars exactly the same, i got two of them and this was the second one used.

Well, Dave the only thing I can say is that if you opened it and the safety seal was in tact, you should be good. It's not out of it's date is it?

Or just maybe a lousy batch at the peanut butter plant.

Seal was fine, it says its good til april 2019.  Probably just a lousy batch, if i get another one like this i will stop buying the brand.

It could possibly be natural peanut butter vs what most of us consider peanut butter. It smells just like peanuts like you described. My wife eats it. It is also oily. Just a though.

I often buy store brands to save money, but peanut butter is one item that I find it is just not worth it.  If you use the cheap stuff in baked goods, you will have some nasty tasting stuff.

Keep peanuts on hand and always have fresh peanut butter.  Put peanuts into a food processor (we use Ninja) and run it until you get a paste -as smooth or "crunchy" as you like.  Better than jar peanut butter and works great in baked goods because there are no other added ingredients like sugar and preservatives.

A bonus that goes well with that is to slice very ripe bananas into half-inch rounds and freeze them in a single layer.  Once frozen put into the food processor and blend until you have . . . ICE CREAM!  Delicious and natural.

FenderP said:
Keep peanuts on hand and always have fresh peanut butter.  Put peanuts into a food processor (we use Ninja) and run it until you get a paste -as smooth or "crunchy" as you like.  Better than jar peanut butter and works great in baked goods because there are no other added ingredients like sugar and preservatives.

A bonus that goes well with that is to slice very ripe bananas into half-inch rounds and freeze them in a single layer.  Once frozen put into the food processor and blend until you have . . . ICE CREAM!  Delicious and natural.

Im sure it tastes great, but seems like you would be having to clean PB out of your grinder all the time (not fun).  I dont like doing dishes so i use only plasticware and cups, and paper plates. 

Also ghostman its not natural, i have had natural and dont prefer it.   

I did call the MFG and all they would do is allow me to exchange it. 

Peanut butter?  From a dollar store?  And you wonder why it tastes funny?  Did you consider that it  might be counterfeit?

Didn't consumer reports or someone do a report on just this subject?

Not a big fan of PB but the DW is.  She buys it mostly at Costco when they have crunchy.  Strangely enough they don't have crunchy all the time.

durangod said:
Im sure it tastes great, but seems like you would be having to clean PB out of your grinder all the time (not fun).  I dont like doing dishes so i use only plasticware and cups, and paper plates. 

Also ghostman its not natural, i have had natural and dont prefer it.   

I did call the MFG and all they would do is allow me to exchange it.

Nope. It isn?t as sticky as store bought. Hot water and Dawn -easy cheesy.

This isn't going to turn into another crunchy vs smooth threads is it? :eek: ;D

My nose has never been close enough to a bar floor to smell peanut shells.

ChasA said:

LMAO..... too funny....   

In some bars when you have peanuts you just toss the shells on the floor, when enough of them gather you can smell it just walking in.

kdbgoat said:

OK with me as long as we are talking about peanut butter and not undershorts lol hee hee

@muddy  I would not say this about basic dollar stores but General Dollar stores here are different, have tons of groceries and many of them are as good or even better than name brand.    The clover valley raisin bran is better than post or any other name brand and its only $1.50 per box.  It has large flakes and nice soft raisins, other brands the flakes are all broken up and it turns to mush in milk.    Besides many off brands are actually packed by the same people that do the name brands they just put the product in a different box.

Also i have eaten this brand of peanut butter for over a year and no issue until now, so most likely a bad batch.

Or kittens with mittens wearing crunchy undershorts lol 

kdbgoat said:

I enjoy crunchy.

ChasA said:

Then you didn?t do the bar experience correctly.
Rene T said:
Would you rather talk about brands of toilet paper????  :eek: ::) :-[ ;D ;)

Some brands of TP are much better at cleaning PB remains off the butt than others.

kdbgoat said:
That depends on whether it's wadded or folded! ::) :eek: 8) ;D

Wadded for sure. Especially after an evening of PB debouching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom