Furnace question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megawattman1

Greetings and thank you for adding me to the forum. I have a question about my Atwood 8531 iv furnace. ( I hope this is the right place). Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to get the combustion wheel or exhaust wheel separated from the motor? I worked at it for 3 hours and couldn't do it. The set screw backed out all the way and squirted penetrating fluid. Pried and grunted and cussed a little but nothing worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? Special tools?

Applying heat to the motor shaft end can break a frozen/rusted cage from the motor shaft. Applying the heat gets a little tricky, but if you can safely get a flame to the shaft end or near where the cage is mounted, it will a lot of times break the rust bond and free it up enough to get it off. Plenty of lube also and it's good to spray some lube into the vacant set screw hole in the up position.

Another way is to try and move the cage on the shaft in the direction that would normally be associated with putting it back on. Movement in either direction will start the process.

Just to add what Henry said, get some good penetrating oil like Aerokroll or PB Blaster and not WD 40. I’ve had much better luck with the first two.

I read your question and had a list of ideas, but every one of them have already been suggested so I'll not list them again. I would first look for the second setscrew in both of the suggested locations. Let us know how it is going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom