Furnace removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captcosmic

I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 34V diesel pusher. I have only a small port just forward of the air filter intake and aft of the sewer connection door. This is the heater port that says HOT. I do not have a hatch or removable door on the outside like on other models. Does any one know how to gain access to the heater for inspection? Any one know of any handy youtube videos that reference this? Thank you.

kdbgoat

Most are removed from the inside. You may have to do some disassembling of some cabinetry to get it out.

Alfa38User

As kdbgoat  says, it will likely come out from the inside. The two port plate outside is typical of a Suburban furnace installation. Inside, you should find a large metal or wood grill in front of it, this is the inside air return. However, you won't see much without actually removing the furnace as it is nested in a slide off metal case.

For example: Mine is located under the stove/oven. All seams of the wood box actually containing the furnace were well sealed with silicone. I had to remove the stove and then remove the plywood box cover under that. As the furnace and the stove shared a common feed for the propane supply, I turned off the propane tanks then lit the stove to burn off any propane left in the pipes and then disconnected the propane feeds. Remove the screws for the combustion fresh air intake and the exhaust on the outside and those two pipes will pull apart when pulled outward. LABEL WELL any  wiring if you are going to disconnect it, maybe take a picture of it first !!.  Remove the hold down screws for the furnace.

Note that your furnace may or may not be located where mine is and will probably need a slightly different approach and disassembly to access it. I had to use a metal plug to block the furnace propane connector as I had to replace the stove and reconnect it while awaiting delivery of the new furnace.

kdbgoat

You should be able to figure it out fairly easy. The furnace is just on the other side of the wall from the outside intake and exhaust vent. You should be able to see some type of return grill in that area.

kdbgoat

Looking at pics of a 1999 34V, I see what he means about no door. It appears that the furnace is located in the basement  near the rear on the driver's side. If you open the rear compartment on that side, is there a removable panel between that compartment and the one the furnace is in? There may be screws that will remove the outside panel of the compartment that the furnace is in.

44LLM

I have a 99 gas unit. Furnace is on the other side of the coach just forward of the door to access water tank. At first glance I also thought
that there is no door to get at the furnace.
I found that there is a door just a little more difficult to open. After removing intake and exhaust plate crawl under and look for screws that will be holding this door closed. After door is open there is a plate that covers access to the furnace. There are many screws and a lot of sealant.
When this plate is removed furnace will come out easily. Just a gas line and one plug. I would think that same coach same year would be similar.
Hope this helps

Dale   

captcosmic

Dale, Yes before I read your post, I got it out just like you said. I saw the hinges above the panel, kind of hidden which lead me to opening the panel. Only problem was a screw holding the heat in on the right side by the exhaust. I had to cut it off because I did not have a 90 degree phillips in my tool box. Not sure why some one would design a thing like that. Now to see where that pesky smell is coming from. There is also a lot of junk that fell down thru the vent in the bathroom floor. I will do a good cleaning before I put it back in.

44LLM

Since you have it out. Make sure bearings are good in fan motor. If not, now is a good time to replace the motor. Also, remove burner cover and give the burner a good cleaning.
I replaced blower motor a few years ago and just last fall when it would not light I took it apart and had to give it a good cleaning. All good now

Dale

captcosmic

Thanks. Yes I checked the bearings. Found mud dobbers in the inlet and outlets. Cleaned everything. Burner looks clean, probably from being a Florida RV. However, after wrestling with it in and out, cleaning it, looking for any leaks cracks or irregularities in the burner side it still smells metallic when it turned on. Not sure what I will do next. Probably take a small space heater along. At least I a certified and bonafied in removing the furnace now.

I also changed the air filter while I was down there. Holy mollie, what a job that was. $78 for the filter and three hours of work. I cant imagine what I would charge some one to do that! Thanks for the help!! 

John Canfield

Site Team
captcosmic said:
.....I also changed the air filter while I was down there. Holy mollie, what a job that was. $78 for the filter and three hours of work. I cant imagine what I would charge some one to do that! ...
Which air filter - engine?

Lou Schneider

Site Team
If the furnace hasn't been used much, the metallic smell may just be the manufacturing coating hasn't fully burned off yet.  The firebox should have a light patina of rust once the coating is gone.

I'd use the furnace for a while with a window or two open to provide ventilation and see if the smell goes away.

captcosmic

It is a 1999 and it is probably original. But since it is a Florida MH, I thought of that. I ran it for about 20 minutes. Still smelled like the devil. I bought a carbon dioxide detector. It does not smell like the oder they put in the gas.  No trips planned to the north, so I will put it on the back burner for now. I searched around on the WWW, and here as well and no one has had a similar problem, at least not on a not new furnace.

ChasA

Capcosmic,
I'm pretty sure you mean carbon monoxide. It kills. Carbon dioxide is what we all exhale.

catblaster

captcosmic said:
It is a 1999 and it is probably original. But since it is a Florida MH, I thought of that. I ran it for about 20 minutes. Still smelled like the devil. I bought a carbon dioxide detector. It does not smell like the oder they put in the gas.  No trips planned to the north, so I will put it on the back burner for now. I searched around on the WWW, and here as well and no one has had a similar problem, at least not on a not new furnace.

Unusual smell? I fired ours up for a check and roasted a Cuban Tree Frog! There is nothing that can describe the odor coming out of the exhaust.So I thought I would make a cover for the inlet and exhaust but that forced the exhaust fumes into the compartment and then into the living space. That set off the CO alarm. Unit is still airing out.

Maybe you should check for frogs if it is in floriduh

captcosmic

ChasA, yes of course you are right. From my Chem class I should also know it is odorless. Which should lead me to some other reason the smell is there. It does not smell like ethyl mercaptan. I thought maybe there is a leak in the heat exchanger, but I could not see any.

Catblaster, I pretty much went through everything I could get to under the floor and in the SF42. No sign of anything dead, besides a belly up cockroach.

I am going to turn it on and let it run for at least an hour. See if it does not clear up. Other than that, it will be run a space heater if need be.

SCVJeff

kdbgoat said:
You should be able to figure it out fairly easy. The furnace is just on the other side of the wall from the outside intake and exhaust vent. You should be able to see some type of return grill in that area.
i replaced the heater in my '85 Pace and it and out this way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grammargirl
Top Bottom