Furnace removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megladigo

I am wanting to get rid of my Atwood AFMD20121 furnace because its bulky and inefficient. Unfortunately, I discovered during removal that the unit also controls my A/C. Is there a way to bypass the furnace so I can still use my A/C? I see tons of posts on how to temporarily remove the unit for cleaning but nothing on permanent removal.

Controls your a/c?  I don't think that is the case - can you explain more about that?  I see nothing in the Atwood op & install manual that implies that.

It's more likely the opposite, i.e. the thermostat zone control associated with the a/c controls the furnace. There are thermostat wires that go to the furnace, of course, but they can be disconnected.

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Heating-Cooling/Furnace/Atwood/Furnace%20Atwood%20AFM.PDF

There is an off/reset switch on top of the unit. I assumed that was for the furnace only but when I flip it to "off" the A/C immediately shuts off as well. Maybe the switch is for the thermostat rather than the furnace? I'm full timing in Texas so i was too nervous about not having A/C to proceed further.

It is fairly common to power the thermostat from the furnace 12v circuit, so that's probably it. If the thermostat loses power, there can be no "demand for heating" or "demand for cooling' signal to the furnace, heat pump or a/c, so they will stop immediately.  The thermostat runs on 12v and the demand signals are simply the presence of +12v on the line to the heating or cooling appliance.

Back
Top Bottom