Furnace Won't Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

Well I searched and read the old threads and Livingston but before I get out the shotgun I though I'd ask for a scaphel.

The 5er has been sitting since we got back from Moab in June.  I think we used the furnace on that trip but I'm not sure.  It's almost two years old and the furnace has never caused problems or been serviced.

About a week ago I started the furnace & gas water heater.  Both worked for a while then quit.  Out of propane.

Wasn't that cold - left electric space heater on.

Today I found the round tuit and switched over to the full bottle of propane.

Furnace blower ran, it made trying to light noises a few times but didn't then quit.

I lit the stove - it worked after a while.

I've recycled the furnace a half dozen times.  It makes blower noise, makes trying to light noise, makes lit noise and blows hot air out the exhaust for about 1 second then stops.  Blower continues and it makes a couple more attempts but doesn't stay lit.

Suggestions?

More than likely cobwebs in the line.  Clean it and it should probably work.

If it's quite far from the propane source, it may take awhile to get the air out of the line.  Also check for any obstruction in the burner as Shayne suggested.

Light stove burner and let it stay on a few minutes, this will get the gas to the vicinity of the furnace.

Thanks guys.

Short story: I had two (almost) empty bottles.  Got the freshly filled one in and stove went to maybe 2 & 1/2 inch flame (it was 1/2") and furnace fired off with no problem.

Joel

Glad you found it.  Tha's why I always carry at least 2 extras with an adaptor hose.  Ya just never know.;/

Well the saga continues.

Furnace wouldn't light on bottle #2 and stove was wimpy (< 1/2" flame).

Furnace and stove loved newly refilled bottle #1.  Stove flame was > 2 & 1/2"

I pulled out bottle #2 to refill it and it wasn't empty.  It was almost as heavy as a full bottle and I could fill liquid sloshing around inside.  Seemed like it was half to 2/3's full of liquid.  Put it back in to puzzle out another (warmer) time.

We had a few nights in the teens and now we're back up to the 60s.  I seem to have made it through the cold with no problems and am sanatizing now.

I guess my plan is to see what happens when I empty bottle #1 again.

Joel

Joel   Try switching the bottles L to R,  It is possible , not very probable that there is some type of obstruction in the line of Bottle 2 or in the fitting.   While switching   and you have bottle  2 out,  open it for just a split second and see if it is obstructed.  If you have an auto switch valve, it may be bad.      \ Good Luck 

Shayne said:
Joel    While switching  and you have bottle  2 out,  open it for just a split second and see if it is obstructed.  If you have an auto switch valve, it may be bad.      \ Good Luck 

There is an excessive flow valve that reacts to a sudden release of pressure and blocks the flow of propane so you may not get any flow. Some valves may be more sensitive than others. Reversing the two tanks should provide more insight into the problem.

I'd run a pipe cleaner thru the tube to the burners. Sounds like you have a spider's nest in there.

Regarding Jim's answer:
There is an excessive flow valve that reacts to a sudden release of pressure and blocks the flow of propane so you may not get any flow.
Those valves will shut off the flow of gas if you open them too fast; they think there's a leak somewhere. Shut off the main valves, open one of the stove burner valves to relieve the pressure, turn it back off, and SLOWLY open the tank valve. See if that helps. I'm sure this is what he was talking about.

Perhaps your auto switching valve isn't flipping over all the way, resulting in reduced flow from the bottle in the #2 position.  Like was suggested, switching bottles will tell you that if you have the same problem with the bottles switched.

Back
Top Bottom