Furrion Backup Camera Power Connector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Altazi

69C85581-B615-4567-BFCF-34A33C57510E.jpeg
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me if the tip if this camera power connector is supposed to be wired to positive or negative? I haven’t been able to find any conclusive information on the net - and internet service is terrible at this campground. Thanks!

0381A218-1B21-4742-8C90-0511D6FFCB93.jpeg
I have no experience with trailer wiring color codes. As measured, the white/green wire is positive, and the solid white wire is negative. The camera red wire connects to the white (negative) wire, and the camera black wire connects to the white/green wire (positive).

The camera does not work with this polarity. Something is screwed up, but I don’t know where. Either the trailer wiring or the camera manufacturer’s wiring.

Can anyone clue me in? Thanks!

That doesn't even look like a power connector to me. Could that be the video connector?

-Don- Auburn, CA
It’s definitely the power connector. I don’t like it, and would never use a miniature phone plug as a power connector, but that’s what Furrion was using in 2018.

Could you power it with one of these thingies? I would at least assume the power connections would be the same.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Thanks, but I already have the cable. What I don’t know is if the trailer is miswired, or if it’s the camera that is incompatible.

I know HOW to fix it - I just don’t know WHERE to fix it. If the trailer is wired properly, I don’t want to mess that up.

I got this off the Furrion we site. Not much to go on.

Connect the bare ends of the camera
power cable to the nearest 12V / 24V
power supply.
− For rear camera position:
You are suggested to share the same
power line from the nearest marker light
(such as the red marker light at the top
center on the rear if available).
Note: Ensure that the fuse on the connected
power line provides additional 1A fusing
current for the camera. Ensure proper cable
isolation for all bare ends (e.g., by using
insulation tape).

I got this off the Furrion we site. Not much to go on.

Connect the bare ends of the camera
power cable to the nearest 12V / 24V
power supply.
− For rear camera position:
You are suggested to share the same
power line from the nearest marker light
(such as the red marker light at the top
center on the rear if available).
Thanks, but that’s the kind of non-specific stuff I have been finding. I’m an electronic design engineer, and know tons about electrical things. I just don’t know trailer wiring color codes, or how the Furrion connector is pinned out. It’s maddening to be unable to find the exact, detailed information I need.

I have no experience with trailer wiring color codes.
There is no defined color code for trailer wiring but in general, black is positive, white is negative, and green is ground. The plug in the picture looks like an audio plug to me.
images

It seems highly unlikely that the trailer was mis-wired. Is this camera original equipment, or was it added by some previous owner?

On my RV trailer, white is ground and black is +12VDC. Per wiring colors posted by SMR, the connections with the crimped wire caps are backwards. Camera black SB connected to trailer white.

If the device is getting power from the clearance lights (the ones at the top in the middle) you will probably have to have your lights ON for the device to get power...

There is no defined color code for trailer wiring but in general, black is positive, white is negative, and green is ground. The plug in the picture looks like an audio plug to me.
images

It seems highly unlikely that the trailer was mis-wired. Is this camera original equipment, or was it added by some previous owner?
This IS an audio connector, but Furrion decided at one point to use it as a power connector.

As wired in my trailer, the tip is negative and the sleeve is positive. This is a very unusual configuration, and I suspect the trailer is miswired.

From a Keystone page, I saw a wire color chart that indicated white is marker light return (ground), and green is for marker lights (+12V). The camera is powered by the market (running) lights, so this could indicate that the camera cable’s red wire should go to the trailer’s white/green wire, and the camera cable’s black wire should go to the trailer’s white wire. This is backwards from how it is currently wired.

I was hoping someone could provide conclusive information on this. The available documentation is terrible!

Our camper was pre-wired for the Furrion rear camera, I just removed the cover plate and plug the connector you took a pic of in and then attached the camera. Our rear camera is always on so it is getting 12v power all the time. Not sure if this helps. I have had people ask if I was recording them. Lol I just smile...

The trailer is ore-wired with a Furrion rear-view camera mount. I was installing a new camera, and discovered that it didn’t work.

As unlikely as it seems, the trailer wiring appears to be in error. I’d like to confirm this, though.

The trailer is ore-wired with a Furrion rear-view camera mount. I was installing a new camera, and discovered that it didn’t work.

As unlikely as it seems, the trailer wiring appears to be in error. I’d like to confirm this, though.

03C53AC8-DE94-4AF2-A624-0726B8D00D95.jpeg
I decided that the factory-installed trailer wiring was incorrect. I connected the camera red wire to the trailer green/white, and the camera black wire to trailer white. The camera now works properly. This image shows the end of the asphalt pad in the campground. On the trailer’s bumper, you can se the yellow mark I used to indicate the centerline for precision backing.

Back
Top Bottom