Furrion rear view camera.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Nourse

I have a Furrion rear view camera mounted on a Forest River using the prewiring. This results in the camera being on all the time. The batteries, which test as good are running down in less than 12 hours and I am suspecting the camera as the drain. Woud the camera use that much power in 12 hours??

I have a Furrion rear view camera mounted on a Forest River using the prewiring. This results in the camera being on all the time. The batteries, which test as good are running down in less than 12 hours and I am suspecting the camera as the drain. Woud the camera use that much power in 12 hours??
Do you have an Incommand system installed in your trailer? My guess is its your camera and something else combined

Are those batteries also powering the display that views the camera video? And is this the wireless model Furrion? Cause wireless means you are powering Bluetooth comm as well as the camera itself. Plus the camera has infrared leds for night vision - they might be on all the time (depends on the prewire design).

What size batteries (amp-hours) and how did you determine "good". The typical battery gauges found in RVs are simple volt meters and aren't any good at telling you how long you can draw power.

Update: I charged the batteries to full capacity yesterday and activated the battery disconnect switch. Was down to 1/3 on the battery gauge this morning. Tested each battery individually. One battery showed in the green with and without a load. One battery showed in the green without load, but went to bad when the load from the meter was placed on it. So, I am thinking that the one battery is causing the drain. It is obviously not not anything that is running in the unit since I had all power to the unit blocked. Thoughts??

Also, in answer to Gary's question, the Furrion is wireless, but only the camera is powered by the 5th wheel. The screen is powered by a 12 volt plug in the truck. The batteries are 750 RV deep cycle.

In answer to Steve's question, I don't know what Incommand is, so I'm guessing I don't have it.

Incommand is a monitor system that help control the lights,hvac,awnings,tanks etc. You would know if you have cause it has a 6 inch touch screen, it a pain because it draws a lot of power. Make sure your tank heaters are in the OFF position ( mine were not marked and were on and drained the batteries overnight my last unit they lit up) we found that out the hard way - now i carry a $300 rechargeable battery pack.
Your back up cameras should have a HARD OFF try holding the power button down for 4 or 5 seconds

Incommand is a monitor system that help control the lights,hvac,awnings,tanks etc. You would know if you have cause it has a 6 inch touch screen, it a pain because it draws a lot of power. Make sure your tank heaters are in the OFF position ( mine were not marked and were on and drained the batteries overnight my last unit they lit up) we found that out the hard way - now i carry a $300 rechargeable battery pack.
Your back up cameras should have a HARD OFF try holding the power button down for 4 or 5 seconds
Now I know what you are talking about. Wife wanted it, I didn't think it was needed. I do not have Incommand.

this is the incommand system its really cool if you have power all the time but boondocking its a real draw on the system

The trailer I just bought has pre wire for Furrion. The trailer also has a 12 volt kill switch.
I asked this question when I bought my trailer. In my case with my trailer the power to the camera is spliced directly to the 7 wire. Will only get power if the towing vehicle is connected to the trailer. Basically, it gets its power from the truck/SUV not the trailers power supply.

I do understand your trailer may be wired differently.
I hope this helps.

Could you post a link to the rechargable battery pack. Might be worth looking into. We boondock a lot where I am.
im in canada so this model wont help but you get the idea - boosts the batteries in your 5er so you can get the genny started or use is as a charger
amazon has similar features

PS Make sure your tank heaters are off when not on shore power

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The camera should be wired to the clearance lights on the rear of the trailer and only operate when the tow vehicle lights are on. Sounds like the factory may have wired the camera hot all the time.

The camera should be wired to the clearance lights on the rear of the trailer and only operate when the tow vehicle lights are on. Sounds like the factory may have wired the camera hot all the time.
Typically this is true. I completely agree with you.

On my 2021 Cruiser Twilight the power wire for the camera is spliced to the 7 pin. I can run my camera with the lights on or off so as long as my truck is connected. The camera is getting its power separate from the lights

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom