FW gray water plumbing for washer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

As I was perusing FW ads, I came across a warning placard in a Keystone Montana in the closet prepped for a washer, stating the washer drain was not plumbed into a gray tank and to ensure you were hooked up with valve open before using the washer. This could be one of the many transition "pains" I'll go through moving from motorhome to FW, but I was stunned by this setup. I use my washer a lot, and while I may not do a lot of dry camping down the road, and in my current setup one must be certain to have enough room in the gray tank before using, it's very handy being able to do a quick load whenever and wherever you want.

So apparently the washer is plumbed downstream of the gray tank, somewhere in the gray tank discharge line - is this typical? It occurred to me that even with this setup water would just backup into the gray tank, but would have to do so sufficiently quickly so as to not backup into the washer discharge line causing an overflow in the washer install location.

So apparently the washer is plumbed downstream of the gray tank, somewhere in the gray tank discharge line - is this typical?
I don't know about typical, but it's not terribly unusual either. There have been some motorhomes with that restriction as well. Since people typically use washer/dryer in campsites with full hook-ups, many owners don't worry much about it. Until the day comes they need to do some wash and don't happen to have sewer handy.  :(

I have a 2011 Montana and the washer is piped to the bathroom tank.

You do have a way to get around this in your situation. The day you want to wash, just put on a twist on valve on the discharge end of your sewer pipe, shut it then open the gray tank drain from either the bathroom, kitchen or both. Water will then flow into the gray tanks. Just make sure they're pretty much empty before you start.

I have a twist on valve and it stays on all the time. It serves as a backup valve in case any of my drains leak a little and also, I'm able to transfer water from one tank to another.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531759960&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+twist+on+waste+valve

My FW has a dedicated gray tank for the washer.  I also have the valve on the sewer output, so I can move water when needed.  Besides, one tank valve leaks.

OK Rene and grashley, I wondered about that. Probably rarely an issue, but as Gary points out, until there's that one time... Back to worrying about the freezer  ;)

Sun2Retire said:
OK Rene and grashley, I wondered about that. Probably rarely an issue, but as Gary points out, until there's that one time... Back to worrying about the freezer  ;)

Something I started this year, after dumping my black tank, I now transfer gray water (this tank will be somewhat full) to the black tank till the water level equalizes and then do another dump of the black tank. I'm able to do this a couple of times. I can also use water from my galley gray water tank. Then I use my flusher for the black tank. What water is left in my gray tanks, I still use it to flush out the sewer hose.

What do you folks think about washer running without a full-service hookup?  ??? Our book says not to run the washer without the grey tank valve open.  I assume that it means not to over-pressure the gray tank and cause backflow out of the various drains.

_Rusty_ said:
What do you folks think about washer running without a full-service hookup?  ??? Our book says not to run the washer without the grey tank valve open.  I assume that it means not to over-pressure the gray tank and cause backflow out of the various drains.

I routinely use the washer with the valve closed, did the same with the previous coach as well

_Rusty_ said:

It all depends on how big your tank is and how much laundry you do. You won't over pressurize the tank but you could overfill it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom