GA to Moab via AL, MS, AR, OK, TX, NM, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

We're leaving monday for Moab.

We're going to do it counterclockwise & have more time for Monument Valley, Flagstaff, Sedona, etc on the way home.

Here's our plan - any suggested alternatives and/or interesting stops along the way?

Day 1 - Cartersville to Tupulo, MS - Campground at Barnes Crossing.
- due west to I-59, then 278 through Cullman, AL as an alternative to I-59/US 78.

Day 2 - Tupulo, MS to Little Rock, AR - Maumelle (Toadsuck Ferry) COE- got to stay there for the name if nothing else - maybe they have a hat!
- MS 6/US 49 as an alternative to 78/I40.

Day 3 - Little Rock, AR to Oklahoma City - Tinker AFB FamCamp.  Spend at Least a day shopping and relaxing.  Anything of interest in Oklahoma City?

(Travel) Day 4 - Oklahoma City to Amarillo - AOK Camper Park (Passport America).

Day 5 - Amarillo to Taos - Taos Valley RV Park.  Spend a few days here doing Taos and the Enchanted Circle.

Day 5 - Taos to Durango.  United Campground.  Ride the train, drive the loop.

Day 6 - Durango to Moab.

Joel:

The memorial to the Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City is a moving experience.

Thanks Jeff

Noticed your tag line - headed for the midwest via TX, OK.  Where is the midwest?

joelmyer said:
Day 5 - Taos to Durango.? United Campground.? Ride the train, drive the loop.
Joel,
Make reservations for the train in advance.? I think you can call.? We liked the Parlour car experience.? It was well worth the extra cost.

Betty

The train doesn't start this year until May 6.

Betty is right, the club car is the best way to go.? Last car on the train so you can take lots of photos from the rear platform.? And it's enclosed so no cinders in your eyes :)

joelmyer said:
Thanks Jeff

Noticed your tag line - headed for the midwest via TX, OK.  Where is the midwest?

Joel:

We spent 20 years in central Illinois and have kids/grandkids in Plainfield.

Be prepared for road construction on Hwy 491 between the Colorado/Utah border and Monticello. Looks they're widening the road but they've just started and it's a mess.

As for the Durango train, I like the outside cars and the cinders in your hair and up your nose....part of the whole experience. Think about taking the train up and the bus down so you get a different perspective.

Wendy, Mike, and Sam
currently in Hermiston, Oregon, in the rain

BruceinFL said:
Joel,
You might enjoy the rodeo cowboy museum in Oke City.

Bruce,

Just to clarify,

The ProRodeo Hall of Fame is in Colorado Springs, Co.

The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is in Oklahoma City, OK

Both excellent and well worth the stop.

Hey Joel,
You are going to be just a few days ahead of us. We leave Friday the 14th and will pass though Little Rock area on our way to our first stop at Branson for some entertainment and a mini-rally with Linda & Paul DeMars.  Will then cut back to I40 and continue west and of course will also be near Durango later as we head up to Moab (been to Durnago before, so probably won't stop there).  Probaly won't see you along the way, since you are ahead, but see you at Moab.

Joel & Gary:

We may be close. We will spend Easter weekend with friends in Texas and arrive in OKC Monday the 17th for 2-3 days. gary is that the week you are going through?

Close.  We will stay in Branson until 4/21, so won't go through OKC until evening of 4/21 or maybe day of 4/22.  Wouldn't be surprised if we stay in OKC area the night of 4/21.

RV Roamer said:
Close.  We will stay in Branson until 4/21, so won't go through OKC until evening of 4/21 or maybe day of 4/22.  Wouldn't be surprised if we stay in OKC area the night of 4/21.

We'll have to see if a mini rally is in the offing. 8)

Sounds like a series of near misses. we expect to get to OKC on 4/12 & stay a couple of days.

Sounds possible - will have to stay in touch and see how it goes. Which direction are you headed from OKC?

I make it to be about 300 miles from Branson to OKC, so our arrival there by evening of 4/21 seems likely.

RV Roamer said:
Sounds possible - will have to stay in touch and see how it goes. Which direction are you headed from OKC?

I make it to be about 300 miles from Branson to OKC, so our arrival there by evening of 4/21 seems likely.

We left Branson around 9:00AM and were in OKC around 4:00PM in January. We are headed east into Arkansas and then north to Chicago.

Another near miss. I will depart Phoenix on Mon 4/10>Belen to visit Maxwells
Tues I-40 to Tucumcari, then 54 to Wichita and then I-35 to Des Moines by Friday the 14th.

Russ:

Didn't realize you were coming to Iowa before Alaska trip.  We are leaving Little Rock tomorrow (4/9), meeting friends in Branson to caravan to Adventureland.  Plan to arrive in Iowa sometime 4/12. .  Already have my appointments set up with your friends Dr. R and Dr. W for May and July.    Let us know if your schedule will permit our traditional Village Inn Breakfast.  Hope to see Jeanette, too

Margi

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom