Galley tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwinkieHeart

I'm new to living full time in a 5th wheel (city hookups) I bought an Alfa Ideal 2003 and my galley tank says full I know the sensors can be wonky and incorrect but I genuinely believe the tank is full however I can't find the valve for the galley tank my sink doesn't drain and it smells absolutely nauseating under the sink. I've changed the vent under the sink but it hasn't helped, i can't take the p trap off because the smell makes me vomit. the sink backs up and leaks. I have 3 valves outside a black tank and I'm assuming grey tank and galley but my gut tells me there's another tank hiding somewhere near the kitchen but where? I can't find ANY info about alfa 5th wheels since the company is no longer around. Is there anyone in the Sacramento California area that can help me?

Welcome to the forum.
Usually there are only three tanks like you indicated. When you open the three drain valves, does it feel like you are opening a gate valve? If so, then you’re going to have to disassemble the trap to see why it’s not draining. Have you tried any Draino?

I didn't know you could use draino in an RV? I'll give that a try. There's three valves (unlabeled) I know for sure one is the black tank the other two I don't know if they're both grey or if one is galley. I feel like there's got to be another spot for the galley this rv is huge I can't imagine there's only three tanks but maybe. I'll try the draino and see if it helps

Galley is gray tank. Gray= water not contaminated with poo. In other words shower and sink water.
Black tank= pee and poo. In other words what you put in the toilet. Open all three valves, be sure they are actually open and drain. To verify the tanks are draining, go buy a clear fitting to go between the sewer hose and the termination end.
I assume your living full time in this thing in one place? Blsck tank should remain closed until the black holding tank is at least 2/3 full. The 2 gray tanks can remai. Open.

Welcome to the forum.
Usually there are only three tanks like you indicated. When you open the three drain valves, does it feel like you are opening a gate valve? If so, then you’re going to have to disassemble the trap to see why it’s not draining. Have you tried any Draino?
Is the third (galley tank ) separate from the location of the black & gray water dump valve?

Your trailer is not going to explode. Pull the freaking handles and see what happens.
Welcome to RVing.

Your trailer is not going to explode. Pull the freaking handles and see what happens.
Welcome to RVing.
The handles are pulled... I know what I'm doing there. I don't have a problem with the handles anyways. I'm trying to find the cause of the galley tank backing up. (The valve is open)

I have 3 valves outside a black tank and I'm assuming grey tank and galley but my gut tells me there's another tank hiding somewhere near the kitchen but where?
Your gut is wrong about this one. While it is pretty common in fifth wheel trailers to have a separate gray water tank for the kitchen and a black & a gray tank for the bathroom, I have never seen any fifth wheel or other RV that has 3 gray water tanks.

I would not recommend using any caustic drain cleaners such as original Drano in the plumbing of an RV. Not because of the possibility of it damaging your RV's pipes, but because it could also damage the rubber seals on the dump valves or even the holding tanks themselves. There are other similar products that are not so harsh. You might also want to try using one of the light weight plumber's snakes to see if you can clear it that way.

Did you get gray water out of the kitchen holding tank? Might be that the P trap is plugged. Put a bucket under it, plug your nose and remove the trap>

I would not recommend using any caustic drain cleaners such as original Drano in the plumbing of an RV. Not because of the possibility of it damaging your RV's pipes, but because it could also damage the rubber seals on the dump valves or even the holding tanks themselves.
On the instructions it does mention the words garbage disposal . They don’t want you to turn it on unless the clog has been cleared. They don’t want water splashing up and getting in your eyes. There are rubber seals in disposals and also rubber gaskets in the strainer basket so I think it would be safe. A simple call to the manufacturer would give you the right answers.

Since i found the second gray water tank i’m wondering where the gauge for it is,my gauge only has Gray and black on it one of each.

Back
Top Bottom