Garden Hose Warning - do not drink from this hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

My garden hose went bad today. I think the rubber membrain inside started leaking and the whole hose blew up like a balloon.  So i went and got a new hose.  I never noticed a warning before but it says something like:

This hose contains chemicals that are believed to cause cancer, do not drink from this hose and wash hands after handling hose.

So if that is the case do i need to hook up my water filter to fill up my fresh water tank?  Is this warning on all new hoses?

It will leach chemicals that are bad for you. Specially if the water sits in it for a period of time.  If you choose not to use a drinking water quality hose then I would let it run for a minute before filling the tank.
The non drinking contains BPA and the hotter the temp the more BPA will leach.
NON BPA hoses are about $10.00 for 25 feet .
I do not believe a regular water filter will filter out BPA

Nah, you are good, the cootie shot you got as a kid still protects you now just as it did when you were a kid...

Everything is out to kill ya, even the water!!!

I just never heard of a drinking water hose before, i thought a hose was a hose was a hose.  lol

Generally drinking water safe hoses are color coded white or blue (or perhaps white with a blue stripe), you can find them in Wal-Mart in the RV section next to the automotive section.  I primarilly use  a Camco heavy duty premium hose in the 10 ft length https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-TastePURE-10-Premium-Drinking-Water-Hose-5-8-ID/29764307  though I also carry a pair of 25 ft white Camco lighter weight hoses.

That wasn't what I was expecting from the title lol, I thought someone mixed up hoses, like grey water vs black water vs drinking hose lol I saw the subject line and thought, "oh no!!!" lol

RVMommaTo6 said:
That wasn't what I was expecting from the title lol, I thought someone mixed up hoses, like grey water vs black water vs drinking hose lol I saw the subject line and thought, "oh no!!!" lol

LMAO  mmm my water tastes funny...  I had a whole different smile going on when i did the topic.  Forgive my sense of humor here:  I was thinking oh so now they have to ask "is that safe to drink out of"  lol  think about it... "hose" :)

That is the California Required warning.  California requires that label on anything which has ever been linked to cancer even if the link has been disproven.

Now I will give you the list of thing NOT known to be linked to Cancer:

End of list

These days, anything not  tested and proven gets labeled "Don't..." or "Not for...".  Manufacturers hire more lawyers than engineers to protect them from harebrained but expensive lawsuits from people who misuse their products. 

So yes, there are hoses designed and tested to be safe for "Potable Water" and pretty much every other brand/type will be labeled "Don't use for drinking water" or similar.  The hose you bought may or may not have some potentially injurious chemical (more likely not), but in the absence of tested proof, the manufacturer isn't taking any chances.  Especially in California, as JFD points out.  The days of noxious chemicals leaching from plastics are pretty much ancient history, but with the long list of chemicals "known to the state of California" to be possible carcinogens, the lawyers can't be too careful.  I hope you don't drink coffee - California says that is a possible carcinogen too.

I'll bet our "forward thinking" governor Jerry Brown runs for president this November so he can save the rest of America  .....  ;D 

Thanks for the info, and for the record i dont drink coffee.  :)  But wouldnt matter cause in California even breathing the air can kill ya.  I just heard that there are places in California where its illegal to catch rain water lol i found that funny.  But i assume it probably has to do with someone abusing it somehow and robbing the environment of the water it needs.

I just heard that there are places in California where its illegal to catch rain water lol i found that funny.

That's actually true in many western states. Due to the relative scarcity of water in most western states, there have always been fights over "water rights," and the state laws reflect that. Colorado recently changed their law so that I now am legal to catch a barrel of rain water (if it ever rains that much), where before I had to let all water run off, since I don't own the water rights on my .9 acre lot.

So let me get this right. The state of California has forced manufacturers to post warnings that may affect your health. They did not ban them they are just warning you. You the consumer are then free to decide if the warning should be heeded. California was at the forefront of nut allergy, Gluten warnings, LEAD IN GASOLINE and other warnings that have become national because California took the lead.
BPA is a real chemical that can be bad and is sometimes used to line canned goods. If the goods are acid like tomatoes that can accelerate the leaching of BPA.  So if you have a BPA hose you may want to let it run awhile before using. Or maybe you do not like being an informed consumer.  Nothing is stopping you from using the hose or ignoring the warnings.

i thought a hose was a hose was a hose.

Not any more!!  That was when we were kids.  You know, those years we lived through in spite of everything we shouldn't have done.

But I think we also have a lot more products today that weren't available back then that maybe shouldn't be used in certain ways.  There's one black space-saving hose that coils by itself and it definitely is not for potable water.  I was a kid before plastics became popular in the 1960s and it's taken a while to study the effects of some of these products.  It's like back when they lined food cans with lead - until they realized it was really bad for people.

ArdraF

Wait until you guys get to use the paper straws.....

Can you really trust a potable water hose that is made in China ?

Larry N. said:
That's actually true in many western states. Due to the relative scarcity of water in most western states, there have always been fights over "water rights," and the state laws reflect that. Colorado recently changed their law so that I now am legal to catch a barrel of rain water (if it ever rains that much), where before I had to let all water run off, since I don't own the water rights on my .9 acre lot.

I believe that Maryland and some other eastern states have also recently passed laws to prevent collecting rainwater that falls on one's roof; it seems that 'the state owns the rain' is the basic premise...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom