Garmin 2610 DC/Speaker Cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Johnson

The cigarette lighter end of my DC cable fell apart and is broken.  I am in PHX and have spent the last several hours on the phone/internet looking for a replacement with no luck.
The only ones I can find are on the East coast.  Does anyone have a source somewhere in the West?

Jim Johnson said:
The cigarette lighter end of my DC cable fell apart and is broken.  I am in PHX and have spent the last several hours on the phone/internet looking for a replacement with no luck.
The only ones I can find are on the East coast.  Does anyone have a source somewhere in the West?

Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City,
Exec Avionics
1575 E Ryan Rd Ste 103
Chandler, AZ 85249
Phone: 480 899 5507
Fax: 480 899 5602

Sport Chalet Sporting Goods
2650 E Germann Rd
Chandler, AZ 85249
Phone: 818 790 2717
Fax: 818 790 0087

National Supply/Camping World
146 East Coury Ave
Mesa, AZ 85210
Phone: 800 874 3326
              480 926 2800
Fax: 877 259 6284

Have not tried the ones in Mesa, Phil, but the others do not stock the part.  Will call the Mesa ones in the morning.

Jim,

I've got several cigar lighter cables with plugs. We can fix your old one. :) I'll be in QZ Monday or Tuesday, or you can stop at my place before then and we can fix you right up. I'm at Lake Pleasant regional Park right now. Call me. I'll send phone # in p.m.

Doesn't the 2610 integrate its loudspeaker with the lighter plug?  I suspect that might be part of the ordering problem.  Mine is in the car which is out of the stable for the moment, but I will look at it and see if there is a way to gerry rig it.

Thanks, guys.  Guess I will have to order one.  I had hoped to find one locally so I would not have a hard time finding my way to QZ ;D 

Jim

Do you have A Fry's Electronics near you? I bought a replacement cable for my SP-III there and IIRC they had a good selection of cables.

PHX has two Fry's Electronic stores on on Thunderbird jus west of I-17 South side of the road.  Another location is on Baseline not to far from Arizona Mills mall.

Guys,

The speaker is physically connected to the plug; not just wired to it. That said, it's a 5-minute job to wire a new plug into the circuit; it's just that the speaker will be loose from it. I've got mine wired directly into the dashboard (fused, of course) with the speaker Velcro'ed to the dash. Can move it anywhere I want. 

Karl said:
The speaker is physically connected to the plug; not just wired to it.

Mine is too, Karl. My problem was with the molded plug at the other end of the cable that plugs into the SP-III. I solved two problems by buying a new cable that also picks up the NEMA in/out pins that the OEM cable didn't.

Your suggestion for Jim's problem sounds like a good/easy fix.

Looks to me that Terry's suggestion at tvnav.com is the best way to go.  The gerry rig might hold up until the tvnav order comes in.

Karl said:
Now you're being insulting! Gerry's rigs might not hold up, but Karl's do! ;D

The JURY is still out on that one ;)

There are two different versions of the ciggarate lighter end of the cord

With and without internal electronics

The without ones are easily replaced

The ones with can be "replaced) by mounting the electronics in a small "project box" which you can get at a Radio Shack or any electronics store, and then using a standard plug with a short cord... You will need to do some soldering to fix this.

That is, of course, only so long as the electronics are not damaged by whatever broke the plug

John,

There's actually 3 (or more) types. The two you described, and the one Jim has. It has a standard plug but is physically bolted to the speaker enclosure, a small, round, flat, pancake-like thing. Bottom line is we spoke on the phone this morning and I have a spare the he can use until he gets his own, but thanks for the technical advice. :)

Karl said:
It has a standard plug but is physically bolted to the speaker enclosure, a small, round, flat, pancake-like thing.

That's exactly how mine is. When I replaced the cable, the new one had a regular cig plug on the end. I merely had to remove it and hook (solder) the new cable to the old cig plug/speaker. Zero electronics inside either one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom