garmin gps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have the 2620 and like it a lot.

However, we do not like the expensive map updates for Garmin.  Currently we are trying to decide if we are going to update the maps on our 2620 or look for a GPS with a less expensive update program.

We used the Garmin 330 on our trip last week and were quite pleased with it.? It found the campgrounds we wanted and all the other sites as well.? A lot to times we don't take the exact route that the 330 calls out because we often take scenic side trips.? But the 330 recalculates a new route form where ever we are in seconds.? It probably doesn't have all the features of some of the top end GPS systems but it does have everything I need.

We also have the Garmin 330.  Believe me, after owning a $3000 Alpine, this $500 unit (Garmin) runs circles around it. From past experience with owning GPS systems, (my 3rd one) I have found that getting the upgrade maps can be a waste of money.  Do it about every 3 years or so.  What you will find is that the upgrades only kick in roads you may never be traveling on. It will how ever update your freeway changes. I will only upgrade my maps no more then every 2 years.  Also, find a friend that has the same and you can split the cost on the upgrade.  My Garmin is now almost 2 years old and we have traveled over 23 states and most all of BC and it has not skipped a beat. Good Luck

However, we do not like the expensive map updates for Garmin.

$75 for an update sounds reasonable enough to me.  And Garmin updates are usually availalbe for that price to curent owners if you wait a bit after the initial introduction of a new map set.  The latest version is at that price right now.

RV Roamer said:
$75 for an update sounds reasonable enough to me.  And Garmin updates are usually availalbe for that price to curent owners if you wait a bit after the initial introduction of a new map set.  The latest version is at that price right now.

I don't know about that Gary. Not when you can buy mapping software which includes the latest data for less.

BruceinFL said:
I don't know about that Gary. Not when you can buy mapping software which includes the latest data for less.

Bruce

But they won't fit on my dash top ;D ;D

Mapping data is not generally directly comparable.  We find that the Garmin City Navigator is more accurate in some areas, while DeLorme is better in others.  Overall, I have to give the nod to Garmin this year.  The $75/year for the map database is a bargain compared to the professional version used by truckers, etc.  Those cost in the thousands of $/year but are much more complete and accurate.

And, as Bernie says, the Garmin fits on both the car and the motorhome dashboards, the notebook doesn't :)

I have a Garmin c330.  It's great, comes with North America loaded already, fits on the dash, and is portable.  Runs off of an internal battery for 6 hrs. when not plugged in.

For example, I was using ti to go from Philadelphia are to northern NY state.  I wanted to stop in a Walmart on the way up to pick up a camping lantern, so I entered Walmart, and it showed my every Walmart on the way up.  I waited until I passed one right at the exit of the interstate, jumped off, bought the item, and continued.  About 20 minutes later, I went to plug it in so it would be charged when I got to my destination, and it was broken.  Did the same thing again, and returned it at another Walmart in NY state.  Another camper arrived on their spare tire and needed to find a tire shop, so we found the nearest tire store, and I gave it to them to use off the battery to get them there after marking our campsite location so they could find their way back to the remote location.

On the way up, I drove through blinding thunderstorms with visibility such that I dare not take my eyes off the road to look at the unit.  I just listened to the voice commands.  Driving in the dark or inclement weather, I can see the intersections coming up, so know where I'm turning before I get there. This is a safety aspect of it that I never even thought of when making a purchase.

The trip logging feature records the maximum driven speed which is handy with my new 16 year old driver.  If the car is being driven too fast, I'll know it, even if I'm not in the car.  I can see how fast the vehicle is going without being able to see the car's speedometer.

This weekend I'll take the unit with me on Amtrak down to Virginia and use it to drive back. I can even turn it on on the train to find out where we are in the trip.

All that, and it's so simple, you don't need a manual to figure out how to use it.  It's money well spent.  the unit will pay for inself in saved fuel over time.  Get an accurate unit with a touch screen.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360.  Its about the size of a deck of playing cards and has a super receiver.  I don't even have to mount it in view of the sky.  anywhere in the front seat area is fine. It has a walking mode that slows down the prompts for use when you're walking around a town.  I loan it to my family members without even giving them the manual and they use it without a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom