Gas at $7.88 a Gallon PLUS $2.60 Per Mile Driven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

WOW - that got your attention didn't it !!

How would you all feel about having to pay $7.88 per gallon of gas and THEN have to pay upto $2.60 for EVERY mile that you drive ?

Well - we already have the equivalent of $7.88 per gallon in the UK and by 2010 we are expected to sit back and happily pay the "per mile" rate too.

Add to that, $30 to drive into London (with more Cities going the same way).

Crazy !!

Paul

Where's the 'per mile' charge coming from Paul? Is this another way for the Exchequer to rake in revenue? Or is it part of the UK efforts to reduce global warming?

Hi Tom

Of course it's claimed to be an effective way to reduce Global warming !!

They also say it's to reduce congestion on our roads - except for the rich who wont be affected too much.

The plan is to install little black boxes into cars. These will have satellite tracking to establish how far they are driven and at what times of the day (rush hour will be more expensive per mile than off-peak.)

I believe there is talk of charging according to the type of road being used - they dont want to penalise people living in the countryside who have to use their own cars due to lack of public transport (which is lacking in 95% of the UK).

The cheaper country lanes will then become mini racetracks by those wanting a cheaper route.

That is, unless they just remove (or reprogram) the black box in the first place - or just go to France and buy an old banger every 6 months and happily drive it in the UK free of Road Tax, annual MOT and road charges.

I will also give you two guesses who is likely to have to pay for the black box installation - I think you will need just the one guess.

Paul

A link to the BBC is HERE

UK-RV said:
[...] will have satellite tracking to establish how far they are driven and at what times of the day [...]
And in the future the satellite tracking system will do the travel-surveillance and automatically will send you the speed ticket fine?  :eek:

Edited:
Here in Germany we are at 6.05 US$ dollars per gal; Diesel is at 5.35 US$ per gal.
Hope we don't get this "per mile rate" here. Dear UK, please don't start this; other governments learn very quick....

Mike (ex-f-221) said:
And in the future the satellite tracking system will do the travel-surveillance and automatically will send you the speed ticket fine?  :eek:

In some cities there are cameras at controlled intersections that will photograph your license plate if you run a red light and you get a ticket in the mail.  Phoenix has some of these, I believe.

Ned

You may like to have a read HERE

See - they stuff us any and every way they can over here !!

One camera has "earned" ?4.2 MILLION in 5 years - the camera collects your licence plate details at one point and then again at another down the road - if you pass the two points under a set time you are fined (the set time would be the time taken to travel between the two points under the speed limit).

We have many thousands of cameras fixed at lights to catch you going thru red etc.

But, it's not just the $120 fine every time - you collect 3 points on your licence each time - if you get more than 10 in 3 (could be 4) years, then you lose the licence for a set period.

And don't forget that your insurance premium is increased if you have any points as you are considered a danger on the roads. Thankfully, most insurers now accept that it is nearly impossible to avoid 3 points and will not count those first 3 points when calculating your insurance premium.

Paul

I don't have a problem with catching unsafe drivers, but the privacy abuse issue is disturbing.

Ned said:
I don't have a problem with catching unsafe drivers, but the privacy abuse issue is disturbing.

yYu dont need to be a bad/unsafe driver to be caught speeding in the UK as they can be hidden anywhere and will nick you for 2 MPH over the limit.

BTW:- in the UK the average person if caught on 366 CCTV cameras a day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom