Gas buddy, anyone use their card? Says save 25 cents a gallon.,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Trying to use gas buddy this trip... of course, gas is insane. Of course, first priority is getting in easy place or other half. We'll we won't talk about that..

See they advertise some card, save 25 cents. .. what's the gimmick?

If I remember correctly, you have a diesel truck?
Take a look at the TSD fuel card if you don't already have one. I know it's not always useable on non interstate roads, but even we have made savings in the short opportunities that we been able to travel in the US.

I have used Gas Buddy to find pricing, not sure about a card, but for diesel we have the TSD program. Not all stations etc, but when you can use it some great savings. Best ones are TA and Petro. On our trip last year saved as much as $1 a gallon. This year a bit less but I believe ,65 a gallon at one stop.

I just looked at the card offer. Works like the TSD, link the card to your bank account, and it does a deduction within a day. I have a 1600 mile R/T this week I wish I had the time to get it.

N
Take a look at the TSD fuel card if you don't already have one. I know it's not always useable on non interstate roads, but even we have made savings in the short opportunities that we been able to travel in the
Take a look at the TSD fuel card if you don't already have one. I know it's not always useable on non interstate roads, but even we have made savings in the short opportunities that we been able to travel in the US.
We use regular 87 gas... 395 in Green River are.. Moab uck

Does anyone know how to get the gas buddy card with a driving license issued outside of the US?

My biggest concern is the Gas Buddy card is linked to a debit card, not a credit card. Credit cards have legal protections such as the right to dispute fraudulent charges, etc. Whether or not you have similar rights on a debit card depends on your bank's policies. In theory a debit card could drain the connected bank account and you'd have limited recourse.

So the discount is unknown until you swipe your card? I get points on my CC that amount to good savings in redeemable gift cards. Without knowing if it's more than 1-2% savings up front there's no way I'm going all in. Is there a way to see what the price will be at a certain station before going there?

I've not been able to find any info on the discount level at any particular station. Lou, I believe it linked to a checking account, not debit card. It works like a debit card, if I'm not mistaken.
They also accrue ("reward points" in gas credit) from participating businesses.
I just don't see any huge bemefit over a good credit card with rewards.

I tend to be vary leery of everyone wanting access to my bank account. I do allow some but keep a list of them. Just too many data breaches for my comfort zone.

If I was to use gas buddy for payment I would establish a second account with my credit union, and transfer enough into it to use the card. Watch the balance, rinse and repeat.

I just don't see any huge bemefit over a good credit card with rewards.
Yep. I don't understand why so many people use debit cards but I see it all the time. I just put 10K$ on my Kroger Master Card, which means I get a lot of groceries for free. That is for having a large Tuff-Shed built in my back yard here.

And I pay off my credit cars on-line the day it posts, so I pay no interest or fees.

The only time I use a debit card is at Arco gas stations because that is all they take (besides cash when people walk inside--often twice, as they often need change and often create a bigger line at the gas pump). IMAO, in some locations, they should not even accept cash. However, it does cost a whole 35 cents to use the debit card at Arco. Rather meaningless if filling up an RV tank!

-Don- Reno, NV

I have used Gas Buddy. Mostly I get a very small discount. The app is useful for finding the best prices. To get the “up to $.25”, you need to have a paid membership. I don’t. Also, there is a (as I discovered this week with stupid high prices in PA) $75 limit per transaction (and you can’t just do another one) and a $300 limit per month.
I am done using the card but will still use the app.

Yup, use the app all the time to find the cheapest gas prices. Did not know about all the other limitations.

Thanks everyone, that's what I figured... these gas prices are crazy.. went from 3.29 at home, 70 mikes south to 3.46, to now 3.95 and that's for 85.. here in Utah. Some states, don't even have 85... and I don't think it is going to be any better in future months.

I've just had it confirmed, the gas buddy discount card is only available to those with an American driving license. It is not available to long term tourists like Jackiemac and us. The TSD card however, is available, they use your passport number in place of the social security number, but you do need an American bank account.

We have had great discounts buying gas using our free discount card at the Fred Meyers/Smiths/Kroger stores/gas stations. As we really like to shop at those stores and Costco we often get a good discount.

Costco gas is usually a good price but they don't seem to do diesel.

Often we are just out in truck to refuel but we have used several places where we fit with the trailer too.

I fail to understand the folks complaining of fuel prices. Don't they remember 2012 or 2008 prices? We drove to Alaska in 2012 when diesel fuel was $6/gallon.

Gas buddy has better pricing right now, TSD $3.40 Gas Buddy $3.15. Need to watch both for better pricing, yes you can save with Gas Buddy. You need their card, find the "deal", before you pump you have to hit deal on the phone, then run the GB card.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom