Gas grill not hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ata3001

I've got an Olympian table top cast aluminum gas grill I take along camping with me that will not get very hot. I took it apart & cleaned it thinking there may be spider webs inside the burner, but there wasn't. This grill has been like this since I bought it new. I am able to hold my hand 1" above the burner & hold it there when it is on high. The blue flame only goes above the edge lip of the burner at the end of the burner. You can barely even see a flame at the regulator end of the burner. I have tried both disposable gas cylinders as well as a 20 lb propane bottle with no difference. HELP!!!

Jayco Jay Feather Sport 165
W/tub drain rerouted to gray tank...

Thanks in advance

Since it was like this when new, I doubt you will be able to fix it yourself safely.  I think it is time for a new one.  I started a grill post in the Motorhome forum and many there like the new Q series of webber portable grills.  They make three sizes two of which are portable.  The smallest may fit the bill for you.  Check them out.

Here is a link to the baby Q.  http://www.weberstuff.com/webaqpogasgr.html  If it does not work then just paste it to your browser.

Jeff

That's a lot fancier and more expensive than our Weber which looks like this.

The Weber Go Anywhere is a good portable bbq but the Q (Baby or larger size) is great. We really like all the Weber products (slightly prejudied....Mike is the Weber rep for the Four Corners area).

This grill IS new. Its not an old grill ready to be replaced. It has only been used about 3 times. It shouldn't need replacing after only 3 uses. The camping supply store where I bought it from has since gone out of business (owner retired) so it can't be returned for an exchange. I was wondering if this may be a gas regulator problem that replacing it may solve. Any thoughts on this?

Wendy,

We own 3 Webers, so I'm biased too  ;D

ata3001 said:
I've got an Olympian table top cast aluminum gas grill I take along camping with me that will not get very hot. I took it apart & cleaned it thinking there may be spider webs inside the burner, but there wasn't. This grill has been like this since I bought it new. I am able to hold my hand 1" above the burner & hold it there when it is on high. The blue flame only goes above the edge lip of the burner at the end of the burner. You can barely even see a flame at the regulator end of the burner. I have tried both disposable gas cylinders as well as a 20 lb propane bottle with no difference. HELP!!!

Jayco Jay Feather Sport 165
W/tub drain rerouted to gray tank...

Thanks in advance

It could very well be a defective regulator.  A new regulator should be easy to find at a propane dealer or anywhere they sell grills.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? If it's been like this since you bought it, it seems there was something wrong from the get-go. I assume it has a warranty?

Tom  We have the same small grill as you do  Works great, When I pay attention, but thenI'm to poor to pay attention.

I would try to take it to a place that sells propane or propane grills and they may be able to help you.  I know these are jetted and those can be replaced.  It may be as simple as taking a small drill bit and drilling out the jet to get any slag out from the manufacturing process.  It may just be clogged with metal shavings etc...

Good luck on fixing or getting your grill replaced.

Jeff

ata3001 said:
This grill IS new. Its not an old grill ready to be replaced. It has only been used about 3 times. It shouldn't need replacing after only 3 uses. The camping supply store where I bought it from has since gone out of business (owner retired) so it can't be returned for an exchange. I was wondering if this may be a gas regulator problem that replacing it may solve. Any thoughts on this?

If the dealer is out of business, try the manafacturer's web site to find their customer support E-mail.

I'm inclined to believe a bad regulator as well, either that or a supply issue, but most likely the regulator

The manafactur can easily test the regulator or replace it... I've preced regulators in stores and via the manafacturer... I very strongly suggest you check with the manafactgurer before visiting a store, might save you a bunch of cash

Something to check: Some regulators and/or gas valves have a kind of built-in safety device that limits or shuts off the gas if it senses too great a flow. This can happen if you turn on the propane cylinder gas valve or burner valve too quickly. Try shutting it off completely, disconnect and relieve any pressure in the system, then reconnect and open the valve very slowly.

The Olympian is only a 10,000 btu grill with a fairly large cooking area, so don't expect a lot of heat.  Since yours doesn't perform well running direct from a 1 lb bottle, the regulator and Acme valve excess flow feature cannot be the problem - there are none when running direcct from a 1 lb bottle.

The older Weber that looks similar to the Olympian wasn't any better in my opinion, but the newer Weber Q grils get much hotter.

Sounds like a regulator problem.  Could be a stuck diaphram or blocked vent hole, or possibly a bad regulator.  If you can get a water manometer and check the outlet pressure you should have about 10" wc pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom