Gas is (almost) free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
When we drive a gas-powered car to the MidWest a couple of times a year, I always shake my head at the large variation in gas prices, both state-to-state and within a given state. This trip was no different ...

Driving a new-to-us SUV, I was getting concerned about the accuracy of the gas gauge. While still in Californiia, knowing that Needles, CA has by far the highest gas prices in the state, I eyeballed the gauge and calculated our consumption to date; I figured we'd make it past Needles and into Arizona. As we got closer to Needles I realized it was going to be too close for comfort, and the "low gas" light had been on for a while as we pulled into Needles and paid the $4.20/gal price.

Pretty soon we were in AZ and gas prices were more reasonable (we paid a "high" $2.99/gal in Flagstaff).

As usual on this route, Amarillo, TX had the lowest gas prices (below $2/gal).  We routinely saw/paid < $2.50/gal for the remainder of the trip.

Here at our winter retreat in central OH, prices have hovered around and dipped below $2/gal. Every trip, our neighbor reminds me of our first visit several years ago in our older gas-guzzling Suburban when I commented that "gas is almost free here".

Made a trip from our house to Lima OH and back last weekend. Filled up in Utica NY at $2.69, saw a price of $2.94 when we stopped at a rest stop near Buffalo, drove through PA (did not notice the prices), filled up just over the OH state line at $2.03 and paid only $1.92 near my daughter's place in Lima.

Joezeppy said:
Made a trip from our house to Lima OH and back last weekend. Filled up in Utica NY at $2.69, saw a price of $2.94 when we stopped at a rest stop near Buffalo, drove through PA (did not notice the prices), filled up just over the OH state line at $2.03 and paid only $1.92 near my daughter's place in Lima.

Good move not buying gas in PA where the gas tax is the highest in the nation.  If traveling thru PA or CA, don't fill up, just buy enough to get out of the greedy states.

I have seen 1.86 here in Upstate SC but it is starting to climb again.. Let me look at TODAY's up to date prices 1.85 at the nearby Marathon.. 1.84 at the "Generic" station. Up to about 1.89 at the Exxon.

John From Detroit said:
I have seen 1.86 here in Upstate SC but it is starting to climb again.. Let me look at TODAY's up to date prices 1.85 at the nearby Marathon.. 1.84 at the "Generic" station. Up to about 1.89 at the Exxon.

Yup filled Monday in SC at $1.89, and yesterday in PA paid 42% more

Billings MT is hovering around $2.69 except Costco is $2.35.  We have three refineries here and still have relatively high prices.

Joezeppy

One of the best kept secrets in the Buffalo area is Irving, NY south of Buffalo. I think thruway exit 58. Get off and go about a mile north on  US 20.
GAS is about $1.75 per gallon and diesel about $2.55 a gallon.
Lots cheaper than anything else in the area.

http://www.syracusegasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx?fuel=A&qsrch=irving,%20ny

I have (proudly) managed to not have to fill our RV up with California diesel for more than a year. We usually boondock in the Arizona desert, so I am able to fuel up in Yuma, which has substantially lower diesel prices than here in San Diego. It's about a three hour drive from Yuma to our home, and we only burn a little more than 1/8th of a tank on the drive, so we still have plenty of fuel to take trips until we get back to Arizona.

Kev

Tom said:
As we got closer to Needles I realized it was going to be too close for comfort, and the "low gas" light had been on for a while as we pulled into Needles and paid the $4.20/gal price.

Pretty soon we were in AZ and gas prices were more reasonable (we paid a "high" $2.99/gal in Flagstaff).

When I've needed gas in Needles, I make a 5 minute (2 mile) detour to the large Arco station north of town on the Arizona side of the river.  Gas Buddy shows their price is currently $2.36 a gallon, almost $2 a gallon less than the Needles prices.

They also have diesel at similar savings and easy in and out for big rigs.

Here in Pahrump, NV gas prices range from $2.59 to $2.69 per gallon.  That's 20-50 cents less per gallon  than in Las Vegas.  I make sure my tank is full before I head over the hump to the big city.

I saw $1.90 at the Walmart or HEB here in Buda Texas.  most places around $2.00 plus or minus .10 cents.

mypursuit said:
Washington state:  2.59 to 3.39 with two refinery's nearby.
Nothing to do with the refinery's, It's all about the tax.  Here in Indianapolis, they keep bumping the tax, but I'll be danged if they actually fix the roads.  But still, today price is 2.29, not bad. 

I read something that seemed confusing, but as we all now, the stock market took a major crap these last few months.  I read it was because oil was so low.  So I'm not sure if I'd rather pay more in gas and have my portfolios go back up  :-\

[quote author=Lou Schneider]When I've needed gas in Needles, I make a 5 minute (2 mile) detour to the large Arco station north of town on the Arizona side of the river.[/quote]
Thanks Lou, I'll make a note of that for future trips in the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom