Gas leak? Replace or no biggie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toaster

I tested out the range by using it then turning off the gas. Then put a burner on and it burned 15 seconds on 'HIGH'. But in the AM its 'gone', and will not burn (after 12 hours). Is this serious enough to look into? I think I may smell a bit of propane when I turn the valve on outside.

Are you normally turning off the tank each time you are finished with it?? Don't forget that turning off the tank DOES NOT remove the gas in the lines unless you turn the tank off FIRST.

To empty the lines leave the stove  burning, turn the tank off, then when the stove goes out by itself, don't forget to shut the stove off!!).

Most people don't do that but simply leave the tank on all the time and use it as you would in a sticks and bricks. If you are on the road and encounter an area where the signage indicates the gas should be turned off (tunnels, gas stations, for example), it should then be turned off at the tank. (Also make sure the fridge is off and not simply on "auto" for gas stations so it will not be continuously trying to light.)

A little smell of gas around the tank area is not unusual especially on a trailer as the regulator might vent a bit into the open air. There is sometimes an escape of gas when a trailer tank pigtail is removed too. As long as it is not there ALL the time, there should be no problem.

Are you saying you tested the range..than turned off the gas at the supply..than 12 hours later when you turned it on at the supply and tried to lite the burner no flame??
If that is so than the line was bled down and when you opened the supply the fuel gas passed thru the regulator fast enough, filling the line back up, to trip a safety device..simple solution..close the supply valve for a bit and VERY..VERY slowly open the valve...if you hear a sound like a BB bouncing inside..you have tripped it again, at least on my coach that is, and start over..
Hope I helped..

George

Any hint of a propane oder could equate to a leak!  The description of your problem is a bit confusing though.  Don't light anything until you have this problem nailed down and the possible leak fixed!

Be a bit more specific on what you were doing, the after effects, and what you discovered the next day.  That info may help in a more specific/helpful reply.

Ok, what I am saying is that I

1. Use the stove.
2. Turn off the gas supply
3. Light the stove with what is left in the line, burns 15 seconds
4. Do over but don't empty the line.
5. In the AM the stove will not light on what would be left in the gas line. -1 hour it will for about the same amount of time.

The actual regulated pressure is only about 11 inches of water column so it will bleed down really easy over night. (Assuming)

This might help you out a bit...
http://gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.html

http://www.propane101.com/checkingforgasleaks.htm

http://blog.rvtrax.com/?cat=18

So you are saying you have a leak in the line sufficient to let it bleed down overnight. Or perhaps  the "leak" is a stove gas valve that doesn't quite shut off 100%. That's where I would look first.

As Mopar1973 says, the gas line pressure is only 11 W.C. (about 0.5 psi) and it doesn't take much to let it bleed off. On the other hand, any gas leak is a Bad Thing, cause LPG is heavy and will accumulate at floor level over time if the RV is closed up. I would make an effort to find the leak and fix it. In the meantime, turn off the LPG supply valve when the RV is closed up for more than a day.

Yes, I turn it off at night,- Are soapy bubbles a good way to detect such a small leak?

Yes.  They make a special solution for bubble-testing, but dish detergent + water works fine.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lp-gas-leak-detector.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed&gclid=CMnW6qXwvLMCFQUFnQodREEAEw

Also remember this leak could be outside at the tanks or regulator too. If you shut off the tanks and the regulator bleed down. It even could be the plumbing running under the RV.

There is only ONE way to test for a leak.  But you need the correct tools to do it.  What your saying is totally normal IMHO.  The propane will bleed out of the lines over time.  Mine usually takes a day or so, but over night is really not a big deal. Depending on how long your propane lines are, it could be very little actual gas.

Its overnight at 20+ degrees also. Pretty cold, should I insulate the gas-lines?

Not necessary. The regulator will be the first thing to freeze

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom