Gas mileage pulling trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grk57

I am considering buying a small travel trailer 19' to 22', 3000-3500 LBS for a several month cross country trip. My tow vehicle is a 2002 Ford Exploder :eek: V6 4.0. I presently get 16mpg city, and 19-20mpg highway. What kind of mileage will I get pulling a 3500 LBS travel trailer? Thanks for your advise!

Well, I don't know for sure, but I don't expect you'll get better than 9 or 10 mpg.? Downhill.? With the wind behind you.? Sounds like fun though.

Ed

I used to pull a 2,000 lb 13' SCAMP (look them up on the web) with a 4,000 lb Chevy Lumina APV 3.1 V6

Millage was about 1/2 of what I get bobtail (without the trailer)  Only one trip did this really matter

I'd guess about half of your normal mpg with that rig.  Wind resistance is the killer, much more so than weight. If you got a low profile trailer or perhaps one of the hybrids like a Trail Manor, youwould probably do a bit better.

I would also say that 3500 lbs was pushing the limits with your Explorer. I would suggest staying closer to 3000 than 3500. Under 3000 would be better yet. And definitely get a weight distributing hitch for it.

Hey,
Thanks for the info! I thought the fuel MPG would be better, but you will never know unless you ask! Sounds like a small class C rig or a pop up would be better?

Gary

Rule of thumb is about 1/2 of your mileage when not towing.  Speed, wind and weight are big factors.  If you have to worry about mileage, you probably cannot afford to have one.  Always a good conversation piece.  Many folks round off the numbers. 

Back
Top Bottom