Gas Mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the commuting driver perspective, we're used to measuring success by MPG's, but remember... you won't be driving this RV as often as your daily driver. Maybe a few hundred miles to each destination, and sometimes it sits for weeks or months. Overall, annual fuel costs are minimal with RVs compared to other vehicles we own. As others have stated, there are some maintenance items you should take care of... but I wouldn't expect to see a considerable increase in fuel economy. 10mpg is about as good as it gets with RVs! With averages more commonly between 6-8 as others have reported.

I am the proud owner of a class b 1996 Ford E2 50 coachman 19 foot RV with 108,000 miles. It seems like I’m getting somewhere between eight and 10 miles per gallon. This seems really really low… But because I am a new RVer I may be my expectations may be too high. Is this gas mileage about right? Is there something I can do to improve it? Thanks very much!
I have class c, 32ft and hope to average 7.5 mpg. Your expectations need a bit of reset

Just a few general observations. The chassis builder configures the engine and driveline combination to deliver a specified degree of performance as measured by not only fuel economy but delivered torque and service life. One has to assume that this configuration was selected by the coach builder to be as close to optimum in terms of tradeoff of economy vs performance for their intended product. There would be little benefit to ignore mileage vs power in either direction, so ostensibly whatever the net result is, it's whatever compromise is practically achievable for this price point. In short, it is what it is. So inherently, there's only so much you can change one performance parameter without affecting others. Maybe you could stick a 100mpg carburetor on there, but likely the net result wouldn't be useful. Practically speaking, what would be a considerable change in fuel economy? 5%? 10%? Is that enough to get you to the point you want to be? A 10% MPG increase starting at 9MPG barely gets you to 10MPG. Over many thousands of miles this can add up to appreciable fuel expense but for an RV that might travel 5K a year it's a 50 gallon difference, not even a single fill up. Not saying one wouldn't do a tune up to get that, just saying that at this end of the scale moving the needle a few tenths which is about all you're likely to get, is lost in the noise.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I never kept track but find my best fuel range is at 17-1800 rpm, about 60. At that speed I can go to Vancouver and back comfortably on one tank pulling the trailer. If I push it to the 120 kmh limit (75 mph) I am refuelling in the middle of the return trip. I don't worry about it, it is just part of the rv experience. @SeilerBird those guys are refuelling every two hours on a good day.

twtexas, Welcome to the forum. Yes as you have heard from all the others you are right in the ballpark. I like to use gas buddy not only to find cheap gas but to keep records of what I bought. I like to use 8-10 fill ups as a average. or what ever you use for a extended time. that gives you a better idea of how you are doing.
We were just down at lake Buchanan a couple of weeks ago. Where do you plan on going for your first outing?
Bill

I was always told if you have to ask about fuel mileage, you can't afford to own a motorhome. Sell it and go to a hotel.

Back
Top Bottom