Gas/Petrol Prices Around the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Call me curious. It seems that here, in the U.S., gas prices rise on any news, anywhere in the world, regardless if it's good or bad. I'm wondering if those of you in other countries experience this same dilema? For example, BP is shutting down a pipeline for repairs, and while this shutdown is relatively minor in terms of total available crude oil, it was enough to send the price over $77/barrel. Did this seemingly unrelated event have any effect in your country? What seems to drive the oil market prices and futures where you live?

Karl,

I just returned from Caracas, Venezuela and just last week the price of gas was  15 cents a gallon !

BP is always looking for reasons to raise the price because they are unstoppable. Until the government steps in and says enough is enough were just going to have to live with it. I wish I knew why they havent so far as these crooks are making record profits and not to mention the taxes the government is making.

Once the price of gasoline hits $20, other alternative will become more feasible and by then, demand for gasoline will go down so is the price. Hydrogen fuel cars are already available for the last 2 years if your pocket is thick enough for the price.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4563676/

Wow!  15 cents per gallon!  That sounds like a great place to take a lengthy RV trip, if only I could speak Spanish and wasn't afraid of getting robbed!  Seriously, how are the roads/people while driving down there, and is it a pleasant and safe place to RV?

Gary

GaryB said:
Wow!? 15 cents per gallon!? That sounds like a great place to take a lengthy RV trip, if only I could speak Spanish and wasn't afraid of getting robbed!? Seriously, how are the roads/people while driving down there, and is it a pleasant and safe place to RV?

Gary

Gary you don't want to go there ! The roads are literally falling apart and no ones seems to be doing anything about it, I believe last year a major bridge collapsed so they just detoured the traffic around a makeshift roadway skirting the mountains. They were built in the 50's with a life span of 30 years and most likely will never be maintained or replaced. The crime is very high and your right ,you had better be able to speak the language or be prepared to be fleeced ! Traffic is about the worst scenario you can imagine, there are no controls in place, its a free for all ! The first thing they tell you, if the traffic stops because of an accident ahead, is to roll up the windows and lock the doors ? That's when the crooks know you cant move so they attempt to rob you ! The country is a beautiful country, but the government has broke the people down to poverty.

UK ?1.00 a litre = about $8.30 a gallon (lpg-autogas is less than half that so you can see the attraction for conversion)

Just for clarification John, that would be imperial gallons. U.S. gallons are 20% smaller, but it's still a big incentive to use LPG over there.

Gas here in Youngtown dropped to 2.77 today  With everywhere raising  go figure.

Tom, of course, mea culpa  :-[  the 16oz and 20oz pints, with the move to litres and the time I spend on the European mainland I tend not to think in gallon equivalents, sorry for the confusion

No problem John. Just wanted to make sure it was clear for folks on this side of the pond.

I appreciate all the comments, but so far no one has really answered my question:
What seems to drive the oil market prices and futures where you live?
We know that here (this side of the pond) the market fluctuates with demand and availability - well sort of, but I've seldom seen the price decrease when availability has exceeded demand. I remember, years ago, when there were 'gas wars'; when filling stations would compete with each other by lowering their price by a cent or two per gallon. Seems to me that there is some kind of - dare I say it? - price fixing which helps maintain an artificially high price for refined crude? Recent news articles have stated that the U.S. reserves MAY be tapped to help relieve our current situation. So far, I have seen nothing substantive regarding this. Normally I wouldn't even talk about gas prices, but I think it may have a definite impact on how you, I , and the rest of the rv'ing community, spend our hard earned dollars and leisure time for the foreseeable future. 

Comments?

Masque said:
UK ?1.00 a litre = about $8.30 a gallon (lpg-autogas is less than half that so you can see the attraction for conversion)

Actually about $7.15 per US gallon (3.785 liters).  But that aint fun either.

Back
Top Bottom