Gas powered generators to be outlawed for sale in California starting in 2024.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayArr

In an attempt to curb carbon emissions, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill on Oct. 9 outlawing the use of gas-powered lawn equipment, which is categorized as small off-road engines (SORE). This includes lawn mowers, chainsaws, leaf blowers, pressure washers and generators. The bill, AB 1346 , orders state regulators to halt the sale of new gas-powered SORE equipment by Jan. 1, 2024. Purchases made before the deadline may still be used by property owners and professional landscapers.

I'm still trying to determine the definition of "gas powered" does that mean gasoline or does that include propane.

There is a big difference between outlawing the use and outlawing the selling.
Exactly. Outlawing the sale will reduce the use as many people will simply move to battery powered tools. Those that want to stay with gas will simply buy elsewhere. The net effect will be less stinky, quieter neighbour hoods with better air quality. Nothing wrong with that.

California already can't keep their power grid up and running. My sister just went through another "Public Safety Power Shutoff" because winds kicked up. Her trusty Honda generator let her continue to work from home, kept the refrigerator cold, etc. during the outage Yes, there are battery powered "generators" but they have to be recharged and would be prohibitively expensive to carry her through the 3-5 day outages she had last year.

Agreed, generators are an important part of anyone’s emergency backup plan. We have a little propane powered generator specifically for outages. Works great. But I read the bill and from what I can see generators will be treated differently and adapted as technology allows. I think the bill targets those stinky, noisy trimmers and leaf blowers mostly. Seems like a good idea to me. Most people have lawns of a size that can easily be handled by electric mowers as well. Air quality is important. Especially for kids. I know I can hear and smell a 2 cycle hedge trimmers from a block away. Ugh.

Well they already won't let their power companies maintain the power line right of ways with chainsaws so I guess they will only get worse resulting in more downed lines and fires in the future. Good luck cutting your way out of a burning city with a hand saw.

I wonder how hospitals will function without their fossil fueled backup generators? I wonder if that bill includes gas golf carts, if it does I see job opportunities for golf caddies.

It includes generators, golf carts, airport service vehicles, lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other motor under 25HP that uses a spark to ignite the fuel.

I wonder if a Diesel powered leaf blower would be exempt since there is no spark plug?

I wonder how hospitals will function without their fossil fueled backup generators? I wonder if that bill includes gas golf carts, if it does I see job opportunities for golf caddies.
Not many backup generators for hospitals are under 25 horsepower. I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Gas golf carts are stinky noisy things. We avoid golf courses that have them. Actually quite rare around here.

I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I don't think it's time to start banning the sale of small off-road engines in California.

I know small engine pollution is a thing (they lack advanced emission controls, etc), but in terms of fish to fry, it seems like the state is going after tadpoles in this instance.

Politicians always go after low hanging fruit and in particular they always pick on unorganized groups. If there was a lobby for SOREs they wouldn't have dared. Notice they don't have the backbone to legislate that the trucking industry reduce their emissions.

Agreed, generators are an important part of anyone’s emergency backup plan. We have a little propane powered generator specifically for outages. Works great. But I read the bill and from what I can see generators will be treated differently and adapted as technology allows. I think the bill targets those stinky, noisy trimmers and leaf blowers mostly. Seems like a good idea to me. Most people have lawns of a size that can easily be handled by electric mowers as well. Air quality is important. Especially for kids. I know I can hear and smell a 2 cycle hedge trimmers from a block away. Ugh.
I was all ready to totally blow California and Newsome out of the water over this and probably still will. Then I read your post about the stupid loud stinky 2 cycle trimmers and blowers! I agree they stink....not just smell!! I have small battery trimmer, and blower that is sooo much quieter and not stinky. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age a little small engine the size of a soft ball has to be so darn noisy! Or for that matter an emergence generator!! I would be all for a law requiring the sale of these engines meet a certain sound level...much lower than they are now! I mean come on, some people work nights have to sleep days, some are bed ridden, sick, they deserve some semblance of quiet in a residential neighborhood..

Politicians always go after low hanging fruit and in particular they always pick on unorganized groups. If there was a lobby for SOREs they wouldn't have dared. Notice they don't have the backbone to legislate that the trucking industry reduce their emissions.
Oh in essence California has in a round about way. They have banned "owner operator" truckers which has a lot to do with the cargo ships off shore not being unloaded, not enough trucks to haul the goods. And you bring up another point in mind. Here in Florida for example there are emission laws. But yet about 1/4 or more of the diesel pickup trucks, probably more have deleted all emission controls as if 800-1000 lbs of stock torque isn't enough!! No vehicle inspections, and I've never seen a cop pull one over. I mean they smoke far more than most newer Big rigs out here. Problem isn't emissions, it's enforcing the laws already in existence.

Actually they already have. All big rigs now have to use DPF filters on the exhaust systems, even on the refer motors. Also the APU generators on big rigs have to be compliant.

As solar systems go down in cost "Sunny Californians" may be able to go solar for a lot of stuff and tell the forest fire starting power companies to "Go climb a pole" (And take down the wires theron)

But also there is something I found out the easy way.
Last February I bought a very nice Used car... Paid what I considered a low to fair price for it (Dealer sale, fully certified, new tires, no dings or dents that I could see (found a few tiny pin-head size ones later but not sure if they were there when I bought it There is a story already told about how I found 'em (Expected much worse) Almost the next week I'm getting letters offering to buy it for more than I paid for it.. Seems due to the "Chip" shortage good condition used cars are in demand.. (I'm not selling I like this jeep and have customized it to my preferences (Added ID-880H VHF/UHF FM/Dstar 2-way radio and BST-1 Shortwave Receiver)

I'm wondering if the law only affects the sale of NEW Generators, and weed wackers and such. If so than someone with the money to invest could do well to buy in bulk before the law goes into effect or even buy out of state. Use once and sell.

Don't worry I am sure in a couple of years they will start throwing people in jail for "trafficking" in out of state generators.

Legislation is the only way to make people change. We will grumble and then we will get used to it and then the world will be different.

When you really think about it electric garden tools makes total sense. They even make electric riding mowers.

Back
Top Bottom