Gas powered generators to be outlawed for sale in California starting in 2024.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was in HS in California you literally could not see the goalpost from one end of a football field to another. California instituted some pretty severe vehicular Emissions laws. In fact I would say the auto industry pretty much builds to California standards.

If you follow me on facebook (include WA8YXM in your search to narrow it down) We can talk abou this more.. Suffice to say "Agreed" here...

You must have been using the small batteries they come with. Use the aftermarket 4 AH batteries as I do.

Those batteries list at almost $60 each on Amazon Don, and that's just for the batteries!

I got a Stihl FS-38 trimmer completely assembled and working with the line loaded and a tank of gas for $130. I expect it to last the rest of my life. I keep hearing that the electric appliances and tools are equal in price now but everytime I look it's just not true.

Those batteries list at almost $60 each on Amazon Don, and that's just for the batteries!

I got a Stihl FS-38 trimmer completely assembled and working with the line loaded and a tank of gas for $130. I expect it to last the rest of my life. I keep hearing that the electric appliances and tools are equal in price now but everytime I look it's just not true.

Meh hard to say. We use our ryobi batteries a lot and probably have more than a dozen tools. Lawnmower, trimmers, hedge trimmers, blowers, saws etc etc the batteries still seem pretty good after 8 or ten years. I’m sure there would have been a few oil changes as well as gas and 2 cycle oil costs in there. The professional series lawn tractors cut a couple acres with no problem. And then no screwing around to fuel up. Swap out the batteries and do a few more acres. Pluses and minuses to everything. I sure won’t miss those two stroke blowers and trimmers in the resorts we visit, or our neighbourhood at home.

Last edited:
I gotta start going to garage sales, and snag every old lawnboy 2 stroker I can find. Nothing like the smell of a lawnboy w/rich mixture, on a Sunday morning sunrise.

As a Certified Arborist, my profession depends heavily on small, gasoline powered tools, at present. I have recently started switching over to 36V chainsaws, and they are great: No more fumes to inhale, no more motors blasting my eardrums. The saws cut as good, if not better, than my old gas saws, for light to medium applications. I'm sure, over time, that they'll come out with battery powered, "heavy artillery," for work on the big trees. I am using Makita. Highly recommended.

My hunch is that there will be a lot of people buying gas ones before the proposes law becomes actual

My hunch is that there will be a lot of people buying gas ones before the proposes law becomes actual
Pretty dumb move. My Makita climbing saw and back handle saw both do as well as my Stihl and Echo units. As long as I have electrical outlets at jobs I'm on, and I (almost) always do, I'm in great shape. Each tool I buy comes with one or two batteries, and I now have three chargers. As time goes on, the major players in the outdoor equipment industry will get better at developing stronger batteries for large scale work.

FYI: The law was passed and signed. It goes into effect on January 1st, 2024. If that's not feasible, and obviously there's going to be wiggle room, then it's the later date where the sale ban is feasible. I suspect the use of small gas engines will eventually be banned, as well, so those stocking up on them may be in for a little bad news in the near future.

Knowing that the future is subject to bizarre events, I'm not going to get rid of all of my small gas powered equipment, but I'll drain it, clean it, and put it in deep storage, just in case......

FYI: The law was passed and signed. It goes into effect on January 1st, 2024. If that's not feasible, and obviously there's going to be wiggle room, then it's the later date where the sale ban is feasible. I suspect the use of small gas engines will eventually be banned, as well, so those stocking up on them may be in for a little bad news in the near future.

Knowing that the future is subject to bizarre events, I'm not going to get rid of all of my small gas powered equipment, but I'll drain it, clean it, and put it in deep storage, just in case......

I reckon that if you have it you'll be able to use it... Until you can't - LOL...

Devil's in the fine print of the legislation, as we all know... Banning engines is just the headline to get the internet fired up...
There was a pretty good run on 2-strokes when that happened. My guess is that Motocross and Supercross survived somehow despite the predictions they would be destroyed.

I have a 2-stroke Evinrude boat motor. Like it but when it dies I can live without it.

The times I've needed my chainsaw the most are after powerful storms have swept through and downed trees and cut the power off. For this reason I'll keep my gas powered unit and when the power is off and there are tree branches all over the road I'll help those of my neighbors who have electric chainsaws and can't recharge them after the first battery charge is expended.

No solution is ever perfect.

I suspect the use of small gas engines will eventually be banned, as well, so those stocking up on them may be in for a little bad news in the near future.

Rarely ever happens, the courts usually decide against a ban on use of property already purchased and owned. The automotive industry will help fight any legislation like this since it knows it will be next if it passes.

The times I've needed my chainsaw the most are after powerful storms have swept through and downed trees and cut the power off. For this reason I'll keep my gas powered unit and when the power is off and there are tree branches all over the road I'll help those of my neighbors who have electric chainsaws and can't recharge them after the first battery charge is expended.

No solution is ever perfect.

Moved to FL this year and learned about preparedness. I have a 4kw generator in the RV a 4kw generator in the shed and about 80-100 gallons of gas I can scrounge up in a pinch if I siphoned the RV and my spare vehicles.

Not being argumentative - I have 4 gas powered saws and of course they are my first thought in a tree sawing situation but in the future I could live with electric and recharge while I am recharging my phone, surfing the internet, eating MREs mixed with water from the well and watching Netflix while waiting for Kroger's to reopen - LOL...

Another reason to avoid Kalifornicate if at all possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom