Gas prices Seem to be Creeping Upwards, What are you Paying at the Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fossil fuels are being outlawed?
Not so much outlawed as eliminated by stricter drilling laws, eliminating off shore drilling and pipelines, and moving incentives from oil to alternative energy. Alternative energy incentives should be paid by state taxes instead of federal. For instance in sunny southern California solar works great but in northern climes winter solar cell output drops by 40-60% (link). Some areas are windy but in other areas there isn't enough to power a wind turbine daily. I don't want a nuclear reactor next door to me.

Not so much outlawed as eliminated by stricter drilling laws, eliminating off shore drilling and pipelines, and moving incentives from oil to alternative energy. Alternative energy incentives should be paid by state taxes instead of federal. For instance in sunny southern California solar works great but in northern climes winter solar cell output drops by 40-60% (link). Some areas are windy but in other areas there isn't enough to power a wind turbine daily. I don't want a nuclear reactor next door to me.
A lot of people don't understand where our energy comes from. With the advances in technology; nuclear power will most likely increase. It's safer now and the used rods can be repurposed on site. If you want zero emissions, it's not a bad way to go.

I still want gas for my KLR650 because of range. Battery technology on a motorcycle may never provide 350 miles with the power needed and weight limitations to handle off road.

Attachments

• US Primary Energy Consumption by Energy Source 2019.png
    US Primary Energy Consumption by Energy Source 2019.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 6
  • KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I find that fuel pricing is all relative to need and wants,, example: in the 80s I thought nothing of traveling at 12 thousand feet at 210 knots burning 24 gallons of avgas per hour costing $6.00 per gallon. It made sense to travel point to point ( no hills,, fences,, borders,, or traffic jams..) and go where I wished quickly.>>>Dan

We are worse off than expected. Members of an rv forum, the majority of the retired and comfortable population, that requires oil and gas to power their rigs to explore remote areas and oil by products to produce weight saving products for their rigs cheering on higher prices of energy. I for one am not in the detached from reality portion that considers the 9 to 5 world of the working class people far removed from most of us. I could say more but i will move along until someone will comes along and shows me concrete evidence of solar panels mounted on the wings of 747s carrying hundreds of passengers across thousands or miles to remote destinations.

Sure. But if drilling and exploration is being halted for environmental reasons I have no problem with that. Pretty important stuff. Find another way.

Solar and wind are common in northern latitudes. Just needs to be properly engineered. Tons of success cases all over the world.

I expect who ever I vote for to put the environment first. Otherwise they don't get my vote. Everything after that is secondary. That is just where we are in the world at this point in time. Look after the planet and it will look after us.

I expect who ever I vote for to put the environment first. Everything after that is secondary.
I vote for whoever puts people first. Environment is secondary. I would say build your nuclear reactors in Canada and send the power down here. But sometimes the wind comes out of the north.

I vote for whoever puts people first. Environment is secondary. I would say build your nuclear reactors in Canada and send the power down here. But sometimes the wind comes out of the north.
We are aligned. Whatever is good for the environment is good for the people. :) I don't know if we are building nuclear power plants presently but I know there are a bunch of dams under construction and coming on line over the next 8 or 10 years. :) Everything has an environmental impact. Its just finding that magic sauce that does the least damage and still allows us and future generations to breath clean air.

Cheers. :)

According to a scientific program we watched a few years ago, with the way the "third world" countries are developing and their increasing need for power, the only way it can be done sustainability and most environmentally friendly is with nuclear energy.

I'm hopeful some of the big guys like Musk are researching ways to make it cleaner and safer.

the only way it can be done sustainability and most environmentally friendly is with nuclear energy.
I agree, but my wife works for a major power company that has all methods, and the nuclear side has so many mandates that it is terribly unfeasible. The third world countries will have less mandates, for good or bad.

Several reasons why price of crude and fuel is going up:

Texas winter storm shut down 11 refineries.

Pandemic curtailed both crude production and refinery output.

Low price of crude made much of US crude production unprofitable and a lot of crude production facilities also shut down for that reason as well (at $35.00 a barrel US producers were losing money).

More travel is expected due to Vaccinations and subsequent control of Covid.

I could say more but i will move along until someone will comes along and shows me concrete evidence of solar panels mounted on the wings of 747s carrying hundreds of passengers across thousands or miles to remote destinations.
You'd be surprised at what is being done in research.

How about a sub orbital vehicle (think space shuttle) launched off a 2 mile magnetic rail like a slingshot. It navigates to a deadstick landing on the other side of the planet. The kicker is there is no pilot on board. The computer flies it to the terminal area then a 20 year old in a trailer flies it to a landing like a drone.

Over half the weight lifted to 36,000 feet by a B747 is fuel weight. Why haul all that fuel up there?

On the edge of extreme - I saw a video of a pretty large balsa glider - like 12 foot span. 40,000 volts were shot into the wing tips - the "ions" released from the ion propulsion engine mounted in the tail propelled the glider across a hanger. Tow drawbacks - getting like picovolts of electricity into a practical airplane and finding passengers that can tolerate being jolted with 40,000 volts or more - LOL... Just the EMP from something like a full sized craft might burn your hair off - LOL...

But seriously - That is the beginning of the Star Trek engine - Maybe Mars has dilythium crystals in it or something - which would explain all the recent visitors - LOL...

Wondered why our BP wasn't displaying price on the big sign so I drove through.
$2.98 and climbing.
We see similar stunts here in the UK. We always assume that if the price was good they would be quick to show it, if it is hidden, then they want it hidden for a reason. Gas buddy is really useful in the US, pity we don't have a similar scheme here.
TonyL

We see similar stunts here in the UK. We always assume that if the price was good they would be quick to show it, if it is hidden, then they want it hidden for a reason. Gas buddy is really useful in the US, pity we don't have a similar scheme here.
TonyL
If you use Google Tony, it shows you pricing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom