Gaseous properties...a dilemma??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

For those interested in this 'airy' subject, the link below might answer some questions pertaining to RV'ers and for 'global warming enthusiasts".

It is a chart of specific gravity for various gases,(Propane, carbon monoxide etc).

My question is: why is carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and sulfur dioxide considered the major 'green house gases', if they are heavier than air? Seems to me they should descend to earth, not rise into the atmosphere, as claimed by AG.

Remember we need oxygen and plants need carbon dioxide.

Click here stimulate your brain

carson FL

Thanks for explanation, Karl.

My mind tells me that when that happens the major part of the heavier gases would still congregate closer to earth than the upper atmosphere. The GW enthusiasts make you believe that a thick shield of these gases make a thick shield way up high; the green house effect. Well, I have my doubts.

On a little side note, let me tell you what happened here in our little town the other day. The local newspaper published a story about the "Dirty Dozen" power plants in the country spewing pollution into the air. They showed a picture of our local atomic generator plant, which also has 3 coal fired generators adjacent, using 3 stacks,

The picture (below) showed a huge emission darkening the sky. I fell off my chair. ???

I immediately e-mailed the Editor and advised him that the dark smoke shown was actually clean white steam coming from the cooling tower of the atomic plant.  The 3 oil powered plants with their stacks showed no emission.  I told him that the picture was dangerously misleading.

Well, a retraction (with picture) was published the next day apologizing for the error.

I guess one has a bit of control over the media after all, these days.

carson FL

Attachments

• Power plant - dirty dozen Crystal River.jpg
    Power plant - dirty dozen Crystal River.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 20
Carbon dioxide is a component of air and is of similar specific gravity to the other components of air.  Emissions increase the amount of CO2 in the air, it doesn't float up or down, just mixes.

Incredible (or maybe not) that they would think a nuclear plant would be emitting anything visible.  If it does emit, you won't see it :)

Well NED.  I don't know about you but I majored in Science and studied computers (Logic) when I was in college

Most editors did NOT major in science.. And many are a bit weak in the logic dept.  And where as "Journalistic Integrity" used to mean double checking your facts and presenting the story in an unbiased manner... Today

Well,  today it's a term found in a history book

Back
Top Bottom