Gen Sets, and DB's!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelaireboy1

What do you guys think of this?

Max Gen dB they say is 67,

this says that normal convo's are 68'ish.

thoughts? can this be disputed?

https://www.commodious.co.uk/knowledge-bank/noise/measuring-levels#:~:text=A%20normal%20conversation%20is%2060,noise%20of%2080%20%2D%2090%20db.

The distance from the source when the measurement was taken makes a big difference in the actual db level. I thought it was kind of funny how they used descriptors like, "Extremely loud" "Very loud" "Loud" and "Faint" to describe the "Threshold of pain" from a generator's noise level. I guess you have to start somewhere, but all that seems pretty subjective to me.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "quiet" generator, but some are definitely quieter than others. Of course those are usually the more expensive generators too.

There are actually a few very simple things that can be done to significantly reduce a generator's noise level when camping. Placing it on the opposite side of the RV from where people are gathered usually makes a big difference. Using an extension cord to get the generator farther away makes a difference, especially if it's downwind from the group. Leaning a board against the generator while it's running to deflect the sound also helps, especially if the board has some carpet, or other type of sound deadenor tacked to it. Simple, cheap and effective.

Kev

T QZ back in 2006 A Honad EU-1000i.  The only reason I knew it was running was I could feel the exhaust against my let
A 2000i I could hear but the person next to me could not (no load)
At half load  about the same (on the 2000)  We were still talking normally
At full load it spoke up well and we had to slightly raise voices.
NOTE I'm standing close enough to feel the exhaust.

That's about as quite as it gets

Not far from where we were camped was a KIPOR inverter gen.. We could hear it clearly at some distance.
No louder but a different quality to the sound means it carried farther.

Here's the National Park Service noise rule that covers generators:

"Operating motorized equipment or machinery that exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet, or, if below that level, nevertheless makes noise that is unreasonable."

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/sound/policy.htm#:~:text=Motorized%20Equipment%20in%20National%20Parks&text=Under%20this%20section%20the%20following,makes%20noise%20that%20is%20unreasonable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom