Generac impact series generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GBOLSTER

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has owned the Generac Impact Generators with the Inverter. Specifically the gasoline 3600 watt for permanent mount on an RV? The model is the 36G Plus 11 Impact Series.

I own a diesel Generac that came with our coach and had a gas powered one years ago. They have improved but if you have a choice I would by an Onan.

I've got a chance to buy a 3500 watt Generac generator with Briggs engine for $200.  We rarely camp without electrical hookups.  Maybe once or twice a year we boondock and it is away from other campers.  But it would be nice to be able to run the ac and recharge the battery. It might also be nice to have a generator at home in case of a blackout to keep the freezer operating.  What is your opinion on this generator for this purpose?

I personally don;'t like Generac but if it's a good one it;'s worth the $.  This is probably a contractor Genset , so it would be noise and you might get some guff from neighboring campers.

Shayne said:
I personally don;'t like Generac but if it's a good one it;'s worth the $.  This is probably a contractor Genset , so it would be noise and you might get some guff from neighboring campers.

Yes, Shane. I'm a bit concerned about the noise too but I would probably only use it when camping in an isolated area, not a campground. Our boon docking is usually at about 9000 ft altitude and generally there isn't that much need for the AC. My other thought is to buy two of the Sam's club 6-volt, 225 amp hour golf cart batteries.  The cost would be about $125 plus a jumper cable.  I wouldn't be able to run the AC or have a back up for home, but I should at least have enough battery to run the furnace blower and lights for a few days.  My current 12 volt deep cycle battery doesn't make it through the night with enough power left to run the furnace.

I just bought 2 golf cart batteries, but I bought Trojan  Also bought Innerstate for the regular battery.  I've not had good luck with WM or Sams batteries.  But too each his own.  Best of luck

Shayne said:
I just bought 2 golf cart batteries, but I bought Trojan  Also bought Innerstate for the regular battery.  I've not had good luck with WM or Sams batteries.  But too each his own.  Best of luck

IMHO the reason you haven't had good luck with WM or Sam's batteries can be summed up in one word:  Exide.

Ron, the batteries at Sam's club said Energizer.  Are they still made by Excide?

I am not sure what they carry now but it would be better to ask and confirm thabattery manufacturer. It is my understanding  Exide often lables batteries under a different name.

That's my understanding too Thats why I didn't recommend them.  At least they used to be.

We have a Honda EM3000C generator for home backup.  Its db rating is 68.  That sound level gets very tiring after 6-8 hours of backup use.  When it is running I keep it inside the garage w the door closed.  What is the noise rating on the Generac.

I'm still undecided but leaning toward getting the two 6-volt golf cart batteries. 
At least I won't offend anyone with the noise.  At Camping World today, I talked to a salesman about batteries and he said a "Rule of thumb is: one 12-volt battery per night of running the furnace."  And that two 6-volt golf cart batteries would be the equivalent of six 12-volt batteries.  Does that check with your experiences?

No, 2 6V batteries are the same as 1 12V battery of the same type.  You have to consider the AH rating of the batteries when comparing.

The Generac Impact he's talking about was designed (or rather marketed) specifically for Class B, C, and truck campers. DB rating of 65.5 @ half load @ 7 meters (21 ft.) In contrast, an Onan RV QG 4000 is rated at 66dB @ 10 feet; quite a bit quieter than the Generac.

I was the successful bidder for a Generac 4000XL generator for $144.50.  It was listed locally so I was able to see it, listen to it run and make sure it was working before I bid on it.  Now my question is:  If I won't be running the AC and all I want to do is recharge the TT batteries, should I plug in the TT power cord to the generator or should I use the generator's 12 battery recharge cables to recharge the TT battery (ies)?

Thanks Ron, And if I go to Quartzsite again, I promise I'll park at the far end to keep the noise down! ;D

Lowell said:
Thanks Ron, And if I go to Quartzsite again, I promise I'll park at the far end to keep the noise down! ;D

Not a problem but I have seen folks put the Genset across a draw from where their group were parked

Lowell,
Depends primarily on how many amps your genset can provide vs. how many your converter can provide. More amps (generally) means less charging time. The genset, however, is not designed to be a battery charger per se, and will probably have no circuitry to control the rate of charge, and taper it off when it nears full charge.You'll have to monitor that yourself. Personally, I'd go with the converter; hopefully one that has a 3-stage charge profile for your battery type.

Back
Top Bottom