General Ford V10 2006 question re manual downshift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

new to me Winnie Aspect 2006.

On a long downhill grade I attempted to drop it from OD to 3rd but got 2nd instead.  Seems like I can't manually select 3rd.  Column linkage has a little slop but not what I'd call excessive and I've been driving Fords all my life.

I suspect this problem indicates a linkage problem but would appreciate advice.  I really want to be able to use engine braking on long downhills.

thx in advance to anyone offering advice.

mark in MN

I have a 2006 with a 2005 chassis and I let the transmission do the down shifting for me in the tow haul mode.  I set my cruse control to the speed I want to maintain going down hill with the tow haul mode set and it will keep downshifting to keep the speed close to what I want, if it gets to fast I step on the brake to get to the speed I want and again let the transmission do its thing.  I love this feature.  If your chassis is older than 2005 it has a different AT. 

No worries. The transmission won't over-rev the engine no matter what gear is targeted. The tranny will not downshift all the way to "2" until the engine can handle it.

Does your shifter even have a "3"? Some do not - goes from "2" to "D".

Thx for replies.  There is a "3" position on shifter but I will try letting the cruise control do the downshifting on downgrades until I can get the linkage looked at.  Lots of grades to negotiate to get back home to MN from NC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom