General Maintenance Tips/Guidance/Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigabytejr

Is there anything I should be doing on regular intervals to help keep my RV running smoothly? I'm not very handy when it comes to automotive stuff (yet) but I'm definitely up for doing as much as I can to get the experience!

Also, is 90,000 miles a lot for an RV like mine (details are in my signature)? I was thinking that with that many miles was an indicator that it was used regularly and (hopefully) serviced regularly and it should last for 1,000,000 more miles with proper maintenance and care (ok, maybe a little less than a million)... Is that a realistic assumption or am I off my rocker? :LOL:

You're actually right on point. I'd rather have 90k on that rig than 19k with most of its life spent sitting unused in a driveway, field, barn, or otherwise. See my reply in your other thread. The rantionale is somewhat opposite of cars, where in most cases low mileage is better. Drive the rig regularly, even in the off-season. That way you'll know how it should "feel" and can notice something wrong pretty early.

Oil changes are about the best regular maintenance item to do yourself on vehicles. And I think that's even easier on motorhomes than cars, as you can scoot right under the rig without the use of jacks, stands, or ramps like you'd need with a car. Once you are comfortable with that, you'll naturally get more adventurous with driveway repairs and willing to try other maintenance items that don't require any special skills. Especially with all the video walkthroughs of almost anything/everything on YouTube these days!

Gee, ours is at 170K, but I did have to overhaul the engine when a piston broke.
Keep a maintenance log. If you don't, you will miss something that needed doing.
Scott is correct about getting underneath. When you do get under there, look for grease fitting called ZERKs. If you find them, buy a grease gun and chassis grease and do that with the oil/filter changes.
I don't think it will make 1E6 miles, but there should be a lot of miles left. When it comes to RVs, engines are cheaper than roof leaks.
Matt

Hi gigabytejr,

The forum library had information and check lists for maintenance that was helpful, where ever that is now.

I keep a maintenance check list based on what others have said here and ones that I copied and added to over the last five years. I've got a Class A Coachmen. One items is change spark plugs after 70,000 miles and I would hope yours has had this done by now.

Different RV's would have different maintenance items based on what brand and what all they have on them.

Engines and transmissions are probably starting to wear out at 90k-100k in a rig that age, so good reminder by Matt. If you plan to keep this MH for awhile and fix things that need fixing, make sure you save up some cash and have a repair fund set aside.

The forum library had information and check lists for maintenance that was helpful, where ever that is now.

That under the "Resources" tab now, at the top of the page (or left pane if viewing on a mobile device), or get there directly here: https://www.rvforum.net/resources/

My 78 Class A with a 440 V8 was still running great but the gas mileage had gone from 10 mpg to 6 mpg by 60K miles, then 2 mpg when it hit 100K. Before EFI engines in heavy vehicles like an RV only had a life expectancy of 100K. But in those days a rebuilt engine was only $800 to put in an RV, way less for a car.

Drive the rig regularly, even in the off-season. That way you'll know how it should "feel" and can notice something wrong pretty early.

Oil changes are about the best regular maintenance item to do yourself on vehicles. And I think that's even easier on motorhomes than cars, as you can scoot right under the rig without the use of jacks, stands, or ramps like you'd need with a car. Once you are comfortable with that, you'll naturally get more adventurous with driveway repairs and willing to try other maintenance items that don't require any special skills. Especially with all the video walkthroughs of almost anything/everything on YouTube these days!
I'm going to drive it as regularly as I can. The part of Washington I live in gets hit with all 4 seasons and our roads can get pretty sketchy during the winters. If we have a mild winter this year though I'll absolutely take it out on drives to keep everything in check!

As for the oil changes and getting more comfortable with driveway repairs, that's exactly what I was thinking as well!

Keep a maintenance log. If you don't, you will miss something that needed doing.
I definitely plan on doing this! Not only to keep myself in check but also as evidence that I kept it in good shape if I ever go to sell it (that's not in the cards now, but ya never know).

That under the "Resources" tab now, at the top of the page (or left pane if viewing on a mobile device), or get there directly here: https://www.rvforum.net/resources/
Thank you for pointing this out! I'll scour this tonight and make my own list of things I'll need to keep up on!

it should last for 1,000,000 more miles with proper maintenance and care (ok, maybe a little less than a million)... Is that a realistic assumption or am I off my rocker?
Off your rocker. No 1980's vintage gas engine will last a million miles. With good care it might see 200k, but 150k is more likely. You will have rebuilt the transmission once by then, and will have replaced things like the starter, alternator, and fuel pump too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom