Generator doesn't charge batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beetlebug

The inverter in my motorhome went out and I am waiting for a new one to arrive. While running my generator (no shore power available) I noticed house batteries were going down. Is this the result of inverter not working? When I did plug it in to shore power batteries charged back up. Does the inverter not work the same for gen as shore power as far as charging batteries? Thanks.

Yes. The genset doesn't charge batteries - it merely provides 120v power to your onboard charger, which is probably part of the inverter.  The inverter/charger works exactly the same whether the 120v source is shore or genset, so if the inverter is not working, it is "not working" in either case.

But batteries seem to charge while plugged in. I guess I will let them replace inverter when it arrives and then check things again. Thanks.

It may depend on what you have installed,  the INVerter on some installations does both jobs, charge the battery  and supply 120V AC to some outlets. Other installations use a CONverter that charges the batteries and supplies 12V to the RV and you could have an additional inverter for the appropriate tasks requiring 120V AC. Knowing the make and model of your inverter will confirm what YOU have.

But batteries seem to charge while plugged in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom