generator exhaust pipe extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Does anybody have/recommend putting an extension on the generator exhaust pipe to lift the exhaust to, say, roof level?  I assume the extension is not permanently installed, so it must have to be carried around?  What about something like a sewer hose to carry it away from the unit?

--pat

We don't.  The newer motorhomes are pretty quiet.  Maybe in really close quarters there is more diesel odor without one.  But we were in Pomona at the FMCA rally in what I would call close quarters, and everyone was running their generators, and we did not detect any odor problems and the noise was not objectionable.

Pat said:
Does anybody have/recommend putting an extension on the generator exhaust pipe to lift the exhaust to, say, roof level?? I assume the extension is not permanently installed, so it must have to be carried around?? What about something like a sewer hose to carry it away from the unit?

--pat

Many of us use just such a thing when at Quartzsite Rally.  If I recall the name of the device is GENTURIE.  It is considered proper etiquette to use such a device or something similar when running the Generator and parked close to your neighbor so not to blow exhaust into their open door to their coach.  We carry such a device as many other members do.

The one we have connects to the Gen exhaust and directs the exhaust up above the roof.

As Ron Said, many of us use the Gen-Turi (I got mine at Camping World) which works great

On my MH if I run the generator more than a bout 2 hours I get Carbon Monoxide build up enough to trip the alarm if running it as installed... Add the Gen-Turi and I can play all day w/o problems (likely all night and the next day/night too, then I'll have a problem (out of gas)

Yet another issue... At QZ I had a neighbor, his generator exhaust entered my Motor Home... (Since he was blowing it my way at about 1' off the ground) The Gen-turi would have prevented that

When parked with others, it's not only courteous, but a health issue, to use a generator exhaust extension.  Some people, like my wife, are allergic to diesel fumes and can become quite ill from even a short exposure.  In some places, you might find a potato up your exhaust if you don't use an extension :)

We also use a GenTuri when boondocking as not only a courtesy to others but to get the fumes away from us.

You can use a flex hose rather than a solid pipe but you need something that can handle the heat.  Auto parts strores sell flex exhaus tubing and also the rubber exhaust hoses used in shops to duct car exhaust away from the service bay.  But then you have to rig some way to hold the uper end up and the lower end to the pipe.  Depends on how clever and mechanically inclined you are.  A Gen-turi is a canned solution that works well.

On the other hand, we've never encountered any real need for one.

Too bad this group doesn't have any differing opions, isn't it. ;D ;D ;D

This is great.  I'll check the CW website next to copy some data re the Gen-Turi.  Love ready-made solutions.

Remember the old mine warning systems where they'd take birds in the mines, and if the birds died, the bigger animals, aka miners, would know to get out?  This is true of generator fumes and small animals.  I'm pretty sure the fumes give my cat a blazing headache. 

Don't know what I was thinking asking about a hose.  Forgot about the neighbor thing.

--pat

"Attaches to side of RV with eye bolts and shock cords." 

Does that mean making holes in the fiberglass shell of my RV? 

--pat

Nope, most of us use suction cup hooks to hold the shock cords.  No holes needed.

Pat said:
"Attaches to side of RV with eye bolts and shock cords." 

Does that mean making holes in the fiberglass shell of my RV? 

--pat

NO. Most people use suction cups with the shock cords. The only thing the shock cords are doing is keeping the  extension from falling forward or aft. The extension isn't heavy and the weight is on the generator exhaust pipe.

Yeah, I notice the whole thing weighs less than 10lbs.? Packed in the included canvas bag it's 44" long.? That's a bit of a challenge, but I'll find a place for it, probably in the towed.

I rarely use the generator, and usually for its monthly exercise, so this may be more trouble than it's worth.? I assume hookup is quick.? And, if I'm parked someplace for several months, do I attach and leave it?  I'm in way northwest WA, where it rains all the time.  Does this pipe have a water drain?

--pat

Pat said:
Yeah, I notice the whole thing weighs less than 10lbs.  Packed in the included canvas bag it's 44" long.  That's a bit of a challenge, but I'll find a place for it, probably in the towed.

I rarely use the generator, and usually for its monthly exercise, so this may be more trouble than it's worth.  I assume hookup is quick.  And, if I'm parked someplace for several months, do I attach and leave it?  I'm in way northwest WA, where it rains all the time.  Does this pipe have a water drain?

--pat

Pat:

The Gen-turi is not for short periods of operation but essential when parked next to others for several days of generator use. The tube is open at the bottom so rain is not an issue.

Oh, OK. I use the generator only once a month to exercise it.  Once in a while I'll use it on the road, but I'm not out much.  I am pretty careful not to run it where the exhaust would affect someone.  Just concerned about the cat.  I'll fire up the a/c and close the door.

Still, I'm going to look at this package at my next CW stop.  I'm glad to know it exists.

--pat

I use my gen quite a bit during the day, seldom after dark.  You need the extention for reason other than your Neighbors.  You need it for yourself.  Years ago the fumes began creeping into our RV and luckily we noticed it or we wouldn't be here talking about it today.  ot sure  why but they came into the coach.  That was the end of that ever happening  to us again.  Heck you can make one out of PVC pipe that works great.

Shayne:  Since you use your generator a lot, maybe you have some idea what kind of "mileage" it gets.  I was wondering how long mine could run before my gas tank cuts it off.  Also, are these things made to run for hours at a time?

--pat

Typically, the generator fuel takoff will leave sufficient fuel to start and run the engine.  It's probably about 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom of the tank.  Generators are designed to run for hours on end without problem.  They are harmed more by not using them than by overuse, if the latter is even possible.

Back
Top Bottom