Generator Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynnszoo

We recently purchased a 2000 Dolphin motorhome with a generac q 55 g generator..

Ok, I need some advice. We went to remote start our generator yesterday and after two tries, which is not normal my husband went to see what was wrong. He opened the compartment door to flames. He just discovered that the fuel line had broken on top. The plastic cover plates are burned up. We put it out with the house extinguisher. Will it be able to work again or should we replace it?

Thankful he was wise enough to investigate immediately (y). How handy is he? A simple solution might to be call a Mobile RV Tech, have them come and evaluate, and repair / replace might be easiest with them. Just Google for one with your zipcode.

Will it be able to work again or should we replace it?
I think the odds are good it will still run fine, perhaps will need some minor repairs. The fire probably wasn't much hotter than the generator normally runs anyway, so all the metal stuff should be fine. And that is most of your generator stuff.

-Don- Auburn, CA

You will need to inspect for secondary fire damage (Melted lines electric or fuel) but odds are in your favor... You may want to have it inspected professionally after you clean it up.

Thank heavens it wasn't worse and glad you are OK and that the fire didn't get out of control.

The basic generator probably didn't sustain any permanent damage - pictures would help - and you likely won't know until you get the covers off.

The main thing is burnt up wiring not only the engine wiring but the generating wiring.

Back
Top Bottom