Generator kept shutting down/Can anyone help solve.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trackstr

Took out my 2008 Tiffin TGA yesterday and while at a site put the generator on. As my wifes portable fan was blowing, all of a sudden it stopped. I then checked a couple of outlets and no power. Went out to the Onan 5500 Marquis and noticed one of the switches was off. Turned back on, and within a couple of minutes it shut down again. Any idea as to what is causing this. I checked the filter to make sure it was getting enough air and it was pretty clean. It was the white 20 amp that kept shutting down.

Attachments

• 20210418_172924[1].jpg
    20210418_172924[1].jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210418_172940[1].jpg
    20210418_172940[1].jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 14
Is the switch you are resetting a breaker? If so, what else is plugged in. Remember your water heater has a 12 amp element as well as your fridge pulls 4 amps when on AC. Any other heaters or air conditioners etc?

Is the switch you are resetting a breaker? If so, what else is plugged in. Remember your water heater has a 12 amp element as well as your fridge pulls 4 amps when on AC. Any other heaters or air conditioners etc?
Portable Ice Maker was plugged in. Also had the A/C running.

Portable Ice Maker was plugged in. Also had the A/C running.

Trackstr. You might be just overloading the circuit. Switch the water heater to propane only, or turn the AC to fan only while running the hair dryer. Remember, your hair dryer pulls more than an air conditioner.

hope that helps. Let us know.

A/C with fan, Portable Icemaker, a couple of lights. Also started the motor to see if that would create extra power.

A/C with fan, Portable Icemaker, a couple of lights. Also started the motor to see if that would create extra power.
It won’t as the generator produces AC. The motor produces DC.

Now that you have reduced the load is it still popping the breaker?

That is a 20 amp circuit breaker. Try isolating the problem by not running some of the things you were running. If the breaker doesn't trip, the problem is one of the things not on. If it does trip, try turning something else off. I would try the fan first.

5500 should handle two Air Conditioners and a Portable Ice maker no problem

After it stopps press (I think you may have to hold for like a half second) the STOP side of the start/stop button 3 times within 5 seconds (per the manual may be different for yours but that's per the manual for mine also a 5500) and read the fault code from the activity light. it will blink in a pattern like 3.3.3 2.2.2 1.1.1 then repeat

Note the pattern and post it .

I found the Heat Pump portion of my unit was kicking a breaker, not the AC part. Not fixed yet, but isolated. Good luck!

Still wondering if the A/C quit - Trying to figure out if the A/C is on the 30 amp breaker which did not trip. That might isolate further what device is tripping the 20amp.

It appears the generator should supply 50 amps via 2 breakers. If the 20amp only is blowing and it's wired to house outlets (not A/C) it could be a ground fault or any number of things.

Not for sure if one would call it a breaker.
The two "switches" are indeed circuit breakers, one 20A & one 30A, with a combined limit of 45A. If you have a 50A RV, the 20A breaker feeds one "leg" of the 50A load center and the 30A feeds the other leg. Much less than when using 50A shore power, a max of 5500 watts vs 12,000 watts if on 50A shore power. 50A shore power has 50A available for each of the two legs.

You need to determine what branch circuits in the RV are on each of the two power legs. Turn off one breaker on the generator and see which circuits in the RV lose power.

If two a/c units are running, that 20A feed from the generator is already under substantial load and it won't take much more to cause a breaker trip. When the a/c compressor cycles on, it momentarily draws a lot of amps, so even a few extra amps from another load makes a difference.

Remember that your 12v converter/charger is always drawing an amp or two to supply 12v and maintain batteries, plus the fridge is drawing 3+ amps, maybe the water heater is on electric, etc.

I have the Onan Marquis with the same two breakers (20a & 30a). My coach has a 30 Amp system. The 30 amp breaker goes to the main transfer switch then feeds the AC panel. The 20 amp breaker goes to a 2nd transfer switch. When powered (by the genny) this transfer switch disconnects one AC from the main panel and feeds it from the 20 amp breaker.

Therefore, with generator running, all loads, except the one AC, are operating through the 30a breaker.

If your system is like mine I would look for a problem before or in the 2nd transfer switch.

Back
Top Bottom