generator muffler - any good substitute for Onan ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patsdad

I need a replacement for the muffler for my 1983 Onan 3.0 RV - input is on the top, exit is out the back - it's a round cannister, perhaps 6" diameter.  Is there something significant about an Onan brand muffler, or can I get same or better noise reduction replacing the in-the-top out-the-back style muffler with a 90 degree elbow and a conventional or tractor muffler ?  Has anybody had any luck, good or bad, with this type of substitution ?  Thanks for any help.

I did what your thinking about on a propane genset.  I used a small tractor muffler and had a muffler shop to bend the pipes and make the connections.  I was amazed at how quiet it made the gen.  We also fixed it so it wouldn't get torn off at the next high center.  Go for it!!!
Jim in Las Cruces

Since the Onan generator runs at a constant speed, it is possible to design a muffler to cancel out much of the sound.  A tractor muffler may or may not be noiser than the Onan.

the only thing that is different about the onan oem muffler is that it has a carbon release plug on it to release carbon every 100hrs. other than that an automuffler will work fine.. I have an auto muffler paralled to the oem muffler "quiet" but if you use the tractor/auto muffler remember to clean your heads of carbon every 500hrs or so

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom