Generator question from a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

Not sure where to post this question, so I'll start here...

I am looking at purchasing our first Motorhome.  I see standard equipment lists showing a 6.0 Guardian generator.  On the same MH I see an "upgrade" to 5.5 Onan.  Am I correct in assuming the 6.0 is rated for higher output?  If so, why is a 5.5 an upgrade?  Is Onan better, quieter, or have some other feature that makes it more desirable?

Just trying to get a better understanding of the details so I can make an informed choice!

Jim Sullivan

Not familiar with the guardian but Onan is the most popular MH generator. I believe the Onan is an 1800RPM generator which should last longer and be quieter. The Onan is a true 5500 watts where the guardian may be 6000 watts peak.  Check the specifications of both generators and then make an informed decision.

donn said:
In theory the Onan is a better quality product.

Now this is pre the ads, but the Onan Emerald Gold line (Which includes a 5.5 5500 watts) is the quietest generator in it's class..  many consider that a plus.. Some stil feel it's too loud but I know I hang a Gen-turi on mine and with the unit running and powering the air conditioners on the motor home I can stand there with my hand on the black extension pipe and chat with someone (I'm within 3 feet of the generator) and *NOT* raise our voices.  A very polite device.

NOTE: Regarding that Gen-turi exhaust extension.. I personally consider it a must-have item (it's an add on you can either get one from your dealer, From Camping World, or .. Home brew.. I prefer the comercial one however)

What it does is move the exhaust gases up over the roof, and since they are HOT they keep rising.. Without it they can enter your living space and. That is not good.  (NOTE: This only applies when parked, when moving there is no danger) at 55 by the time it rises to the level of your living quarters it's .. WAY behind the RV.)

The 5.5 Onan is a fantastic genset, if given a choice I'd choose it.  Be aware that these things don't like to sit quietly for months on end, they like to be exercised under load at least once per month.

I love my Onan 5.5 and Gen-turi exhaust extension.

The extension stores in a bag and only takes a few minutes to install. No CO alarms going off with the extension installed.

Back
Top Bottom