Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgh_AL

I have a coleman powermate 1850 generator that im going to use to charge my house battery temporarily till i can find out what's going on with my Onan.

What it does when it runn

Last edited:
Get your multimeter out and start taking voltage readings.

Are you using the powermate because the onan is not charging house batteries?

Check the batteries for charging with the onan running.

Do your house batteries charge when plugged into shore power? Does the 60 watt light bulb work when plugged into shore power?

Get your multimeter out and start taking voltage readings.

Are you using the powermate because the onan is not charging house batteries?

Check the batteries for charging with the onan running.

Do your house batteries charge when plugged into shore power? Does the 60 watt light bulb work when plugged into shore power?
đź’ˇ

I have a coleman powermate 1850 generator that im going to use to charge my house battery temporarily till i can find out what's going on with my Onan.

What it does when it running it won't light up a 60 watt bulb plugged right in to it . But it will run a drill a toaster or a heavy draw component.

It won't supply electric light loads just heavy ????? Any ideas ? Don't get me wrong it does what i want it do for me I'm just curious.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the bulb is good as well as other low draw components I've tried verified by plugging in my house receptacles
This makes zero sense so I will ask the dumb question.

Have you plugged the light fixture into a 120V house outlet and if so does it work?

This makes zero sense so I will ask the dumb question.

Have you plugged the light fixture into a 120V house outlet and if so does it work?

Never mind I give up . Thanks any way . Mods Please delete this post Thanks.
So sorry to be a bother

Last edited:
I don't think anyone doubts you or is trying to insult you. When I said this makes no sense, I was referring that it made no sense electrically.

If you plug in a power tool or any other device that works and then plug in a light fixture that does not work, then that doesn't make sense so I asked the dumb question.

Sorry if it upset you.

OK I'm going to do something I don't like doing.. assume

I assume the coleman has a 12 volt charging outlet and you plan to use it (Forget about it)
Use a decent plug in smart charger instead...

NOW. Some RV's the converter is a plug in.. IF (And I stress IF) your's is one of 'em. that is very likely a top end smart charger (Mine was both plug in and THE top end charger)

Never mind I give up . Thanks any way . Mods Please delete this post Thanks
[/QUOTE

Never mind it

I assume the coleman has a 12 volt charging outlet and you plan to use it (Forget about it)

NOW. Some RV's the converter is a plug in.. IF (And I stress IF) your's is one of 'em. that is very likely a top end smart charger (Mine was both plug in and THE top end charger)

How do I delete this post . Everyone's missing the point and ill just figure it out myself .

"Thanks" im going to have to figure it out myself everyone's way off the point here

Well then tell us in more detail what you are thinking.. As I said I do not like to assume.

If you plan to, for example, plug the RV into the generator like you would a shore outlet.. Should work, so long as you don't use Microwave, electric water heater or air conditioner. all of which, when coupled with low batteries. might bet too much for the genny.. TV and RV fridge on electric should be OK.

LIghts, water pump, fans and so forth (All 12 volt) don't count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom