Generator question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

Yesterday I had a problem when I tried to start the generator on the motor home. It would start and then immediately shut down. I did prime it by pushing down on the switch. I also tried the switch on the generator itself and had the same results.

It is a Onan, 4KW, model 4KYFA26100P, Serial no 113056009, Spec B

I checked the flashing code and got a Engine Stopped Fault-- Code No. 36.

I have 3/4 tank of gas. It has been sitting for a few months so maybe bad gas, but the main RV engine runs fine.

Checked oil level and it is fine.

Thanks for any ideas.

Will it continue to run if you hold the start switch? My case was the generator will not run if it does not generate power. I had bad/corroded brushes on the generator end. I like to exercise the genny at least once/mo. now. That is at Cummins in Albuqurque, NM recommendation.

Hopw it's not that, in your case.

Lets face it Bill,, it did not break something just sitting there,, the spark plugs did not change just sitting there,, I would guess that the carb has dried up and the bowl needs to be reprimed with fresh gas.. Some Sea Foam added to the gas would also help..>>>Dan ( Try several times more.)

Thanks guys.

I just ordered a full maintenance kit from Amazon, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, and spark plug. I will change it all when I get home from Vegas in a few days.

The temporary fix was to go to a RV park, (Oasis).

Will also get some Seafoam and try it.

I have a receipt saying the generator was serviced in Jan this year.

it did not break something just sitting there,, the spark plugs did not change just sitting there,,
Perhaps not. But when an engine will not start looking at the spark plug is often a good clue of what is wrong.

And if it's a Champion spark plug, that will be a good time to junk it, regardless of what it looks like.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Our generator had an issue where it would start and run rough for like 5 seconds and then quit. Error code was also 36. Tried probably a dozen times all told. Turns out the filter was not filled. The ‘fix’ was to hold the prime button for a full minute. Hope your issue resolves so easily.

Usually, it's the easy thing - not some huge issue. If the generator is not run and stressed monthly it is most likely the fuel in the carb turned gummy and restricting fuel. The Fuel pump and even fuel filter are possible targets too for the same reason. If it was the spark plug I doubt it would start at all. And, yes, oil level is critical. If, for instance, it's a tad low then vibration could cause it to shut down. The Onan 4000 doesn't have an oil filter. So, it's pretty sensitive to oil condition.

Oil level seem fine. I bought all the parts to do a full service and fuel pump. They will be here tomorrow, (Amazon).

I have watched several Utubes. Pulling the gas line at the carb is simple. Even changing fuel pump and plug is fairly straight forward.

I saw that it does not have an oil filter, surprising.

Tried the priming for a full minute. Did not help.

Last edited:
I saw that it does not have an oil filter, surprising.
The old gennys do not run nearly as clean as the newer ones. So the old Onan's have oil filters, newer runs run clearer and have no need for the oil filter as long as the oil is changed as often as recommended.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Tried the priming for a full minute. Did not help.
At least take out the spark plug and look at the bottom to get a clue what is happening. It could be fouled, way too rich, or even wet with gasoline from not firing. IAC, I would then put in a new one, especially if it's a Champion plug that you removed.

BTW, I ran my genny today (my Y2K RV). I try to run it every few weeks or so under load to avoid such issues. Especially after a heavy rain like we just got here yesterday.

Anyway, after a half hour of perfect running my genny died with a code 14 (running too fast) today. Then I start it again, it runs a few seconds and give a code 15 (too slow) and dies again. Then a few more times, with either 14 or 15. Finally would not even start at all. That worried me, too fast and too slow both!

But then I checked my RV gas level. It's down to a quarter tank! I sure was glad to see that!

Tomorrow, I will fill up my Y2K RV with some of that very expensive CA gasoline.

And run it again. I am fairly sure that is my only problem.

So now I know the symptoms of my genny running out of gasoline from the main RV fuel tank being low.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I finally got the generator fixed after throwing all kinds of parts at it.

I changed the spark plug, air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, filled the gas tank, and changed the oil.

Finally called a mobile mechanic and it was varnish in the carburator, The genny only has 109 hours on it so it needs to be run at least an hour a month according to him.

I ordered a new carb a few days ago. Now it will be a spare

I am going to leave it purring in the driveway for a few hours with the A/C on.

Still not sure about selling the motorhome because we cannot park it at the new home.

Storage is $200 to $300 a month in Vegas. Used it twice this year, Might keep it until Q.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom