Generator quitting; hi altitude and hi heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DerekB

We drove to Colorado two weeks ago in our 2018 Thor Hurricane. The generator stopped a few times. I assumed it was the altitude. I did adjust the altitude knob, but it only goes to 5,000 feet. We were anywhere between 8-12,000 feet.
When parked the generator actually ran fine.
Yesterday was very hot, over 100 degrees. We were driving through Kansas. Generator stopped several times. I did a quick oil change, but did not have a filter wrench so didn?t change the filter. I got about a quart and a quarter of new oil in. Later that day the generator ran fine for several hours.
Is this just ?normal operation?; stopping in extreme altitude and heat?

May be vapor locking. I?ve had to move the fuel pump out of the gen case and mount on vehicle frame of my last two motor homes to solve this problem. Also, insulated discharge line from pump to carb. A fuel pump  in the early stages of failure may also cause similar problems.

Thanks for the replies. It is a Cummins 5.5 HGJAB-1038K with about 425 hours.
Yesterday it ran all day no problem. Lower altitude but still pretty hot, in the 90?s through Indiana and Ohio.

hi all, facing big problem with my generator as fuel leaking back into tank. i am trying to solve this issue but din't get pram-anent solution yet.

Back
Top Bottom