Generator run time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catawba1

How long can you run a generator continuesly ,7500 onan on motor home, I'm planning on driving 10 hrs each day then stopping over at truck stop,sleep then 10,12 hrs driving stop sleep,it appears it would run 30 to 35 hrs before reaching our destination,I had it serviced freightliner gaffey this week. Just know due to heat I have to run AC, for comfort, but curious if I'm making a mistake.

At NASCAR races, I’ve seen coaches pull in on Thursday, start their generator and it run until they left on Sunday or Monday.

Personally, we’ve run ours while driving and boondocking continuously for 3-4 days at a time.

Run it, don’t worry about it.

At Oshkosh (EAA's Airventure) a few years back I ran our in our Beaver for something over 72 hours straight. It was no worse for the wear. I have also run the genny in more than one MH for A/C on the road, plus some time at each end, for more than 12 hours. They're made for things like that and, assuming regular maintenance, should be happy doing it.

So you should be fine for much longer than you plan.

Check the oil level every day and change the oil at about 150 hours. It likes to run.

I know in some of the later model Onan's that the gen may shut itself off after 24 straight hours. It is built into the gen software program to force the operator to do a fluid check. I can't say that I have ever experienced that as I have never run a gen that long at a clip.

After hurricane Michael we ran 17 days, 24/7 using Honda EU2000i for A/C, satellite TV ETC. (fridge, stove & water heater on gas) Lived in the MH for 8 months during the re-build of S&B.lilred.jpg
DIY external 5 gal tank stopping every other day for oil change only. Averaged 2.5 gallons per day. Currently use it for boon-docking trips running 24 hours at a time, 3 to 5 days.

Last edited:
Schedule breaks (under 24 hours) for the genset and inspect during those breaks. Check the oil level. Be sure the air filter is clean.

While the genset is running, keep an eye on the voltage. An occasional voltage check with a good voltmeter at an outlet is always good.

Thanks ,we made trip no problem generator did great 33 hrs total run time ,our 1st time going this route, after exiting interstate 85 near greenville SC on to hwy 29 south toward lake Hartwell GA. Ran up on bridge 13.0 ft, our fleetwood is 12 3 ft, but I had both roof top airs replaced ,good years changed with hankooks never crossed my mind to remeasure, I let air bags deplete and took my chances,at 35 mph ,Wife said converatble rv should be easy to sell in July. Thanks for all the info .

If I know we'll be running the gen (Onan 4k microlite) for extended time I change the oil (and sometimes the air filter) right before the trip, even if it's not due, that way I don't have a concern of coming due during the trip.
It's not unusual at all for us to run the gen for 2 to 3 days non-stop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom