Generator Runs - No Output to coach (if hot outside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99Chiefton

Understandably coach age factors into our issues.

In July we attended an annual event in Eastern Washington where the temperature is about 95 day/ 70 night. We run the generator from around 9 am to 10 pm mainly for the Air conditioning .

The issue - when we got on the road to come home we turned the generator off while getting gas. After starting the generator I waited, as usual) for the panel to light up indicating power to the coach before turning the air conditioner. No lights. This happened during our stay and a YouTube video recommended resetting all of the breakers located in the bedroom resolved the problem, but not this time.

We contacted the service department at the dealership, no advice, can’t even look at it until November. Our contact at our local Cummins Generator Service who recommended the same and a few other places had absolutely no clue at all. Since November is cold in Washington repeating the issue will probably be difficult so we decided to at least see if what it would take to duplicate the problem. It was 85 degrees and ran the generator two hours while sitting in the driveway and was able to duplicate the issue. Yesterday at 70 degrees we couldn’t. So we think heat creates the issue. Allowing it to cool down resolves the issue.

We reset both breakers on the generator and all of house breakers in the bedroom. We can’t see loose or corroded wires. The auto transfer switch area looks good, it looks clean, almost new. But we assume that’s probably the problem. We are stumped. We hate spending the money if that isn’t the issue.

Anyone have any ideas? What kind of information do you need to help find a solution?

From your limited description, I agree it sounds like the transfer switch or wiring between the generator and transfer switch the most likely problem, though I would suggest trying to cycle the generator mounted breakers once again just to make sure they are not part of the issue.

What model genny? If not running when hot, could it be running too rich? Have you checked the spark plug to see if it's running rich?

Could be a simple adjustment to lean it out. Also check the tube between the auto-choke and the exhaust, if a carb model. They sometimes fall off and make the generator die when it gets hot.

Or does the genny still run, but no AC output?

-Don- Reno, NV

It’s an Owen Marquee 7000. However, the generator is running fine.

it’s just weird because the outside temperature has to hot and the generator has to run for a couple hours. At 90 degrees say, we can go out and start the generator and the coach receives power. Run it for a few hours, turn everything off, give it about as much time as you would if you were filling the coach with gas, restart the generator and no power to coach. Walk away for a few hours, restart the generator and the power comes up.

Me, the wife, thinks the heat is causing something to expand so it won’t move. Might sound stupid or or might sound logical…. I don’t know… but what? I don’t know how anything actually works! My husband can fix just about anything or at least knows who to call. But know one seems to know.

When it has failed measure the generator input at the transfer switch and at the transfer switch output. If no generator input voltage, problem is before the transfer switch. If you see generator input voltage at transfer switch and none at transfer switch output, it is the transfer switch. Possibly the coil doesn't pull in completely when it is too hot. With the cover off you should see the transfer switch activate when the generator comes on line.

Just for your information the generator control board will shut the generator down if it does not see output voltage. Therefore you problem is likely either at or downstream of the generator output breaker.

Back
Top Bottom