Generator Shut-Off????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moon

I just purchased a 2003 Bounder 31W. I took my first trip this weekend. My generator shut off when my gas tank was just below half full. The sales person told me this is normal on Bounders and takes place so the generator does not run the coach's gas empty.

Can anyone tell me if this is accurate. Additional input appreciated.

Good Luck,
Moon

That's correct...to make sure you can drive home, they install the gas line for your gasoline powered genset at some point above empty...so you would have 1/2 to 1/3 gasoline left in your tank.

I have a Pace Arrow, which is also made by Fleetwood, like your Bounder. If you crawl under the coach you will see that the fuel line for the generator exits about 1/3 from the bottom of the gas tank. As someone else said, this is to insure that the generator doesn't run the tank dry.

Woody

We were putting our new Winnebago Adventurer through it's paces this afternoon and the same thing happened at 1/4 of a tank left. At first when I heard the generator shut off I was alarmed, but then I remembered that was supposed to happen to prevent it from draining the fuel tank and stranding you somewhere. It sounds like Bounder likes to give you a bigger cushion of safety?

Art,

Most of the manufacturers claim the genset is plumbed at a 1/4 tank. I would guess when someone is adding the plumbing it might be a guess as to what is 1/4. :)

My Damon shuts down a 1/4 tank too.  As everyone says, to insure you have gas enough to go get more. Very handy

I've dealt with dual outlets on gas tanks ever since I first learned how to drive (A farm tractor, not a car) The tractor had a "main" and "reserve" tank, one tank, 2 outlets, about 2 gallons "reserve"

John In Detroit said:
My Damon shuts down a 1/4 tank too.  As everyone says, to insure you have gas enough to go get more. Very handy

I've dealt with dual outlets on gas tanks ever since I first learned how to drive (A farm tractor, not a car) The tractor had a "main" and "reserve" tank, one tank, 2 outlets, about 2 gallons "reserve"

John

Our 1960 VW bug had no fuel gauge. It had 2 outlets and when you ran out of gas from the main outlet you twisted a lever to open the "reserve" outlet. Marlene ran out of gas many time after forgetting to refuel after switching to the reserve but always in front of a gas station. :)

Thanks fellows,

I'm sure if I'm cutting off at just past a half a tank that would more than likley be an inaccurate fuel gauge???  Is that something I should concern myself with and make dealer fix or live with it????

During the warranty period, everything should be attended to.? That's what the warranty is for and the dealer should not be allowed to talk you out of it.? Is factory service available for your coach?

I am a strong proponent of factory service...they will get the job done and usually perform all upgrades to the coach that have been implemented since you bought it.

Steve said:
During the warranty period, everything should be attended to.

I hear your there Steve.... I had some body work done recently (non-warranty, hit&run parked motor home, too bad Mr. idiot had bad/stolen plates on his truck or he'd know just how bad an idea running is)

They noticed a windshield issue (it was silpping out position) turns out DAMON took a shortcut when they installed it and did not do it right, It is done right now... at their expense

I called my dealer and the service rep made arringements for me to take the MH in to the branch nearest my job (less than a mile) so I drove it to work last night... Got there and went to de-flea it (takes 4 hours) During set up to de-flea I fired up the generator, set the AC's  to fan mode and turned them on... NOTHING... Checked the generator is delivering power indicator (Night light) and it was dark.  Turns out the transfer switch had gone south (Worked fine on Saturday)  So while I was at the delaer they swapped it out too.

All warranty work of course.. Very handy being already at the dealership this morning

Next job: installing sewer hose storage (abotu 7' of 4"  pvc drain pipe with end caps which will be bolted to the frame, No good in some areas but if I can tow my towed, this will be safe, and worst case I'm going to bust up some PVC and need a new sewer hose, Damon uses a very high rear end, the back end is about 1" below the frame, (Basements go down from the frame) and I'll be bolting this to the frame)

Next is installing some heavy duty power outlets (Dasiy chain, 30 amp RV outlets,  The published idea is so that in the event of a power failure I can power 1 or 2 other "lesser" units w/o generators, the real reason is... I have a 30 amp extension cord RV to standard wall sockets, 8 of them (double quad) which I used to use in my old trailer

And I've got to get storage cubes and the like to put in the compartments so as to better use their space

This thing is going to be both a lot of fun, and a lot of "fun" (one serious, one sarcastic)

But warranty is good thing when a windshiled is hanging in there by the skin of its teeth as it were, and it has no teeth

Back
Top Bottom