Generator stops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bjwinspect

Me again.. yes I am also posting about my autobrake repair in separate post.    My generator has always run great.  Retuning home from our last trip, not only was my parking brake failing but my generator would shut down.  It would purr along for about 10 minutes then stop. It would not sputter and stall, but just stop like it had been shut off.  It would start right back up again.  I checked the fuel pump, and replaced the gas filter.  It would still stop.  I changed the oil and filter... starting after the oil change it ran for about 15 minutes then stopped... I started it again and it ran for about 20 minutes and seemed like it was going to keep running this time, I had to shut it off because I was leaving. I will try again later.
I am thinking it must be a oil pressure switch? Is there one, where is it located?  Any other ideas? 

I was also thinking if one wanted to run some additives to the gas.. to help clean carb or prior to storing,  the additives could be put in a separate gas can and a tube run from the fuel pump into the container, rather than trying to mix needed concentration into the big gas tank.

This is a Onan 5000

I would think if it were a fuel or carb issue it would sputter and run poorly just before it quit. On mine I have a clear gas filter that I can see the gas flowing while the engine is running, one time I ran the line from the fuel pump into a gas can just to make sure the pump was drawing like it should, it ended up being a bad fuel line back at the gas tank. I actually have my carb soaking now as it was running a little rough and was not able to get it smoothed out with the adjustment screws. I'd hate to spend 300 on a new carb. Not sure these gas gens have a oil pressure switch, not sure why one would be needed unless you have a gauge, they do have a low oil shut down

You don't seem to have mentioned what type of generator you have, built in or portable, but our portable Champion was doing exactly the same thing. Turned out to be low oil level as it wasn't sat level, topped up the oil and problem solved.

This is a installed onan 5000.  A oil shut off switch..is what I was wondering if it had... anyone know where this is located?  I am thinking this is what could be the problem

We need to know the exact model number from the data plate should be something like 2 numbers followed by 2 or 3 letters, FA (or maybe 1R or 3R if it is older) then some numbers then  a Spec code letter at the end.

Isaac-1 said:
We need to know the exact model number from the data plate should be something like 2 numbers followed by 2 or 3 letters, FA (or maybe 1R or 3R if it is older) then some numbers then  a Spec code letter at the end.

The model number is 5BGEFA26100N

The 5BGE is the Emerald 5000 Plus. Do you have the Op manual - there is usually a troubleshooting section.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1001852/Onan-Emerald-Plus-Bge-Series.html

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The 5BGE is the Emerald 5000 Plus. Do you have the Op manual - there is usually a troubleshooting section.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1001852/Onan-Emerald-Plus-Bge-Series.html

I have the manual... what I?ve seen in trouble shooting has not found the problem.  I am thinking the oil sensor switch must be the problem.  If I located this switch I would try and test it by bypassing

Bjwinspect said:
I have the manual... what I?ve seen in trouble shooting has not found the problem.  I am thinking the oil sensor switch must be the problem.  If I located this switch I would try and test it by bypassing

Engines need three things: compression, gas and spark. After it quits, diagnose which of the three it lacks. Spark is the easiest to diagnose. Pull the plug cable and check, using a spare plug. Gas to the carb is also easy, but don't burn your rig to the ground doing it. Compression would only be a problem if the valves are way out of adjustment, assuming your genset isn't hydraulic valves.

How many hours on this? Doubt very much if your valves are out of adjustment if it runs for 15-20 minutes. I have an Onan on a tractor and when the valves were out of adjustment it would start very hard and had little power. The low oil shut off is some place on the sump with a couple of wires going to it

Deano2002 said:
How many hours on this? Doubt very much if your valves are out of adjustment if it runs for 15-20 minutes. I have an Onan on a tractor and when the valves were out of adjustment it would start very hard and had little power. The low oil shut off is some place on the sump with a couple of wires going to it

About 500 hours.  Because it starts quickly, purrs along fine with or without load, motor home moving or stationary. then shuts down suddenly, afterwards it will restart immediately, I don?t think it is adjustments,  Something seems to be turning it off.. I am still thinking it is the oil sensor... If I can only find it.

Problem Solved..    the switch is just above the oil filter.  Remove a metal cover to access it.  A wire going to the sensor grounds and stops engine.  Wire removed to test.  Replacing switch is easy, it simply unscrews

Larry N. said:
Dan, I believe you forgot air.

Thanks. Air would be part of the compression check, tho. When doing a compression check, the throttle is held open. Now, if the OP's genset has somehow lost or blocked the path to air, bingo. But he seems to have settled on the oil switch anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom