Generator trouble.....HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV_TINTER

I have a 92 Rockwood Class C on a Ford E350 chasis. I have a Honda RV generator EV 4010 mounted in the basement. It has ran fine the last couple weeks, then suddently it won't start. I have replaced the spark plugs, changed both fuel filters, and checked all fuses. It cranks, but acts like it's not getting gas. The fuel filters have gas in them, (clear in-line style), but they are not completely full. I have traced the fuel line to the main gas tank, and there are no blockages.

Is there a fuel pump in the tank that is for the generator only, or does it just use suction? The RV starts and runs fine, so it's not the main fuel pump. It just seems like it is sputtering because it's not getting enough fuel.

Usually, it's one tank with two pickup tubes. The generator pickup will be higher in the tank so you don't run out of fuel completely while running the generator. Could you be low on fuel?

RV_TINTER said:
I have a 92 Rockwood Class C on a Ford E350 chasis. I have a Honda RV generator EV 4010 mounted in the basement. It has ran fine the last couple weeks, then suddently it won't start. I have replaced the spark plugs, changed both fuel filters, and checked all fuses. It cranks, but acts like it's not getting gas. The fuel filters have gas in them, (clear in-line style), but they are not completely full. I have traced the fuel line to the main gas tank, and there are no blockages.

Is there a fuel pump in the tank that is for the generator only, or does it just use suction? The RV starts and runs fine, so it's not the main fuel pump. It just seems like it is sputtering because it's not getting enough fuel.

If your fuel tank is at or below 1/4 tank then you need to refuel. Most generators are plumbed at 1/4 tank so not to run the coach out of fuel.

I got a full tank.....Is there a separate pump for the generator that may be dead, since the rig motor will still run fine??

RV_TINTER said:
I got a full tank.....Is there a separate pump for the generator that may be dead, since the rig motor will still run fine??

I believe the fuel pump would be in the generator.

Thanks for all the help.  It appears that after sanding and cleaning the flywheel, it turns out that the coil is bad.  We had gas...just not enough spark.  The gas was soaking the plugs.  Any suggestions for good prices on Honda Generators.

Before replacing the genset, why not see if a replacement coil is available? According to the specs, the 4010 is a good unit, and if it's heathy otherwise, why not spend a few bucks on it? It may be a little heavy on gas use, but you can buy a lot of gas for what a replacement of that size may cost :)

Back
Top Bottom