generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

i will try to keep short, my generator wont start. it clicks fast like a weak battery. checked batteries they are good. it is a generic 6.5. used about 1 1/2 month ago. no problems. thanks for any help.

swampsauce said:
i will try to keep short, my generator wont start. it clicks fast like a weak battery. checked batteries they are good. it is a generic 6.5. used about 1 1/2 month ago. no problems. thanks for any help.

The fast click could be the fuel pump priming the generator.  You should hold the starter for at least 30 seconds.

Phil

You may have corrosion or poor connection at the genset's starter solenoid.  In other words, your "good batteries" voltage may not be reaching the starter.

Have you tried starting the genset with the coach engine running? This sometimes brings up the voltage enough to get it started. If that works, that tells you it is a voltage problem of some sort.

well good news and bad news. went to the local small engine shop with motor home, they checked everything . they thought might be bad solinoid. i replaced it, nothing. sitting there staring at generator thinking, i checked the connection to starter. it was loose. tightened it up, she fired right up. lesson learned. thanks for all the help.

swampsauce said:
well good news and bad news. went to the local small engine shop with motor home, they checked everything . they thought might be bad solinoid. i replaced it, nothing. sitting there staring at generator thinking, i checked the connection to starter. it was loose. tightened it up, she fired right up. lesson learned. thanks for all the help.

Ah, you had a screw loose did you? :)

I had the same problem on my mains inlet on my MH.

Your post reminded me of a situtation back in Battle Creek many years ago... A carpet cleaning company (Truck mounted hardware) was demonstrating for the school board in a (Failed) attempt to obtain a contract.

When they went to fire up the engine on the vaccume.... No joy.. The solinoid was bad

I bypassed it for them and got the engine running just fine.... Still,,, no contract resulted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom