Generators- 20, 30 and 30 amp plugs - how does this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elm_tx

Hey Y'all,

We're trying to get organized and plan our first trip where we won't have any hookups. We've gone to a couple of near by state parks with full hookups since we acquired our 5er in June, just to try and get our ducks in a row. Now we are trying to get our act together for the main reason we bought it, NASCAR races. We're heading from Houston to Ft. Worth 10/31for 6 days at the track.

The 5er can accommodate 30 amp and 50 amp hookups. For this trip I'm planning to just rent a generator til I better understand what I need. What I'm planning to take to the race is either the 6000 or 7000 unit in the link below.

The 6000 unit has two 30amp connections and a 20 amp, how does this work? Is there some Y connector that you hook to the 30 and 20 amp plugs to get a total of 50amps? Or is the best I get out of it is 30 amp? Rental Rep couldn't tell me. :-\

If 30 amp is the max I'll get, any idea if that will run a TV, 15,000BTU A/C (hopefully it'll be cool enough down here not to need it, but I have my doubts.  :)) Satellite, fridge and minimal lights? Or will the fridge need to run on propane?

It has a 75db noise level, it didn't sound Real loud in their warehouse, how loud is it really? The Honda's I was looking at elsewhere were in the 59 - 62 db range but they would not start new models, so I have no real idea what 59 - 62db sounds like.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=em7000isAB

As usual, I really appreciate any feedback y'all can give me.

Thanks
Eddie :)

The EM7000is has both 30A/125VAC and 30A/240VAC receptacles, neither of which is directly compatible with your RV power cord.  You will need an adapter to connect to the 30A/125VAC outlet and have a receptacle on the other end for your 30A RV cable.  If you are familiar with AC wiring, the Owner's Manual is downloadable and contains a wiring diagram of the generator.  If you're not comfortable with this, then I recommend getting an electrician, preferably one familar with RV power systems, to make the necessary adapter cable.

I screwed up!!! :-\

The link I meant to add is

http://www.mmdequipment.com/constructionequipment/portable-specs-NGK6000H.htm

The honda link I added by mistake is something I was looking at, not what I'll actually be taking along at the end of the month. The ngk6000 unit in the link above is the unit I'll be using for this trip, unless of course it is not compabtible. The sales rep claims that many of their management go to races and use these units for there trailers.

As for creating a receptacle to hook into, I'm not sure what you are talking about there. Is this an adapter you are talking about, like a 'dogbone'? Also, my 5er was hit in storage a few weeks back and is at the repair shop right now, so I can't test the generator to see if it'll work. If this generator won't plug-n-play with my 5er, what do I need to be looking for?

I've spoken with a few different sales people, Honda, Northern Tool Supple, and a some other locals, the sales folks seem
to only know what the manual or website tells them. Camping world folks I talked to were not much more helpful.

I guess I'm still somewhat confused, of course it'd probably help if I posted the correct link the first time. :)

Eddie

Actually... I would suggest that someone using a 6000 have an adapter made by a compentent maker (Since I don't know of any currently on the market) to go from their 30amp 240 outlet to a 50 amp RV connection  (or if they cna afford it to a marine connection assuming that's what is on the RV)

You will only get a total of sixty amps divided 30 / 30 on the RV but you should  be able to run both AC's the Microwave and television all at the same time

If you adapt from the 30amp 120 volt you get 30 amps period, and it is shared between the two legs on the RV,  If you adapt to the 240 amp you still get 30 amps. but you get it twice

What you do not want to do is connect an outlet to an outlet, DO not connect the 30 and 20 amp outlets together because 30 is all the generator has, just 30, no more, but it has it on both sides of a 240 volt split line (Normal house type line) so by

SO, red to red, black to black, white to white and green to green (Note, Green may be bare) on the 30 amp outlet and you are good to go. (or at least as good as you are going to get)  Leave the 20's alone, you don't need them at all

Hello, If sales rep has management people that use it with there trailers, have him lead you to them!! They should be able to help you!!

Randy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom