Generators for A/C units at high altitude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatLightning

I bought a 3500/4000 dual fuel generator that I'm unable to find a high altitude kit for. I'm likely going to have to take it back and get a different generator. We want to be able to boondock and must be able to run our 15k AC unit, because we have cats. We need a minimum of 3500 running watts, but 3600 would be better. Propane is preferable. 100 lbs or less. We want to be able to dry camp at 8000 ft. All, any, and plentiful generator input is welcome!

Well we do not have any problems with a 3500 Predator inverter generator up to 12,000 feet. But I added an additional air vent on the check oil door. We were told that we needed to modify the carb as we went higher. But it ran my 13,500 ac, which was the biggest requirement. But the WEN is rated at 3800 and the Cummins 4200 is the new one that folks that actually need 3500 are using now.

Adding an altitude kit will not restore power lost due to altitude, it just corrects the mixture. So whatever power you get (-3.5% per 1Kft) is what you get. Additionally, propane conversion results in a ~10% reduction in power so that has to be factored as well. I routinely run my gas genset up around 8Kft and don't notice any running issues. I might consider an altitude kit if I were to use a generator consistently at altitude but for one that's on wheels and could be anywhere, I don't see it adding any value. Since on AC your converter will probably be charging the house batteries at the same time I'd add that into your expected running watt load.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
High altitute kit is basically an slight adjustment of the fuel air mix.. Lean it out a bit as I recall.

NOTE You say "Dual fuel" if one of them is propane and the other Gasoline or Diesel propane won't have quite the "punch" of the liquid fuels. so you won't get the full power on propane.

Thanks for your input. We've decided to return the generator and skip attempting any boondocking. It's just too stressful to worry about things going wrong; top priority is keeping our fur babies comfy and cool. We'll stick to campgrounds with hookups đź‘Ť.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom