Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I have been thinking of getting a generator for my TT to recharge the battery and run AC when we stay at national forest campgrounds.  Today I went into a Pay & Save store and they had a Champion 6 1/2 horse 4000 watt generator for $299.  That seems like a good price to me but I suspect you get what you pay for.  Does anyone have experience with the Champion brand or other low cost genrators?
Jake

Jake said:
I have been thinking of getting a generator for my TT to recharge the battery and run AC when we stay at national forest campgrounds. Today I went into a Pay & Save store and they had a Champion 6 1/2 horse 4000 watt generator for $299. That seems like a good price to me but I suspect you get what you pay for. Does anyone have experience with the Champion brand or other low cost genrators?
Jake

Jake, they all have one thing in common, NOISE.

We all, at one time or another, have succumbed to the low cost utility generators but after sitting in a quiet campsite listening to them we ens up with one of the "RV" type, Onan, or Honda has great portable generators that are "whisper" quiet.

I have 3 generators just now,,, The ONAN on my rig (So quiet that when I started it at a shop one day I thought it did not start, If there is any road noise, even if it's passing cars, (the rig was in a parking lot next to a street) it completly drowns out the generator.

One Genrac 1000 portable (My "Infinite length" extension cord.. Not good for all that much but handy as blazes when I need it)

One "Contractor Grade" El-cheapo"  Useful if Detroit Edison flakes on me again, and again, and again as it can run all the priority stuff in the house (Frige, Freezer, Furnance, Some lights)  (Note The Genrac can run the bedroom... Including window AC!! not that I use window AC any more,,, IT can not kick start the fridge however)

My recommendation for camping... Small portables  HONDA, you pay more, lots more, but you hear less, lots less  A 3KW honda will not make as much nosie as my 1KW genrac and it's rather quiet  The el-cheapos are NOISY

I should point out that as a UAW retiree I do not really like HONDA that much... But I can not argue with quality, and when it comes to portable generators theirs are very simply the best

Jake said:
Today I went into a Pay & Save store and they had a Champion 6 1/2 horse 4000 watt generator for $299.

Jake,

You will make a lot of enemy's if you run one of those cheap, noisy generators near other campers.  Bite the bullet and get a proper generator that's made for RV use.

Phil

As the others have said, get a Honda, or at least a Yamaha.  And get a full Honda brand genset, not just a Honda-powered one (an brand x that uses a Honda engine). I recommend the "i" series, which is a DC genset with a built-in inverter to produce AC power. By far the quietest genset around.

Most of the noise comes from vibrations and Honda expends the engineering effort to design vibration out and manufactures to the miniscule mechanical tolerances necessary to keep them out.  It will cost about twice the brand x genset but there is a world of difference!  :)

Thanks for the advice.  I will avoid the cheaper generators for the TT.  Actually, I'm not sure I need one yet.  We usually camp at 9000 ft. or so and it is generally cool enough in the evenings that we need the heater, not the AC.  However, as we use the TT more, I expect we may end up at warmer, lower altitudes that don't have electrical hook-ups. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a used Honda on e-bay.
Jake

Jake said:
Thanks for the advice.? I will avoid the cheaper generators for the TT.? Actually, I'm not sure I need one yet.? We usually camp at 9000 ft. or so and it is generally cool enough in the evenings that we need the heater, not the AC.? However, as we use the TT more, I expect we may end up at warmer, lower altitudes that don't have electrical hook-ups. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a used Honda on e-bay.
Jake

Take a look at the Kipor generators. Kind of a Chinese knockoff of the Honda. From what I have heard the prices are reasonable and the noise levels are comparable to the Hondas.

Big question here would be how does the Kipor reliability / dependability compare to Honda.  Usually you get what you pay for and I would rather pay a little more to get a proven product.  Personally I no nothing about the Kipor except that it exists. I don't know anybody that admits to owning one.

Actually, I'm not sure I need one yet.  We usually camp at 9000 ft. or so and it is generally cool enough in the evenings that we need the heater, not the AC.

If you run the furnace much, the furnace fans will eat your batteries' amp-hours in a hurry!  A Honda EU1000i is just the thing to recharge them.  If eventually you need to run an a/c in warmer areas, you will want at least an EU2000i.

But for furnace use only, it probably makes more sense to just add another battery than to buy an expensive genset.

Ron said:
Big question here would be how does the Kipor reliability / dependability compare to Honda.? Usually you get what you pay for and I would rather pay a little more to get a proven product.? Personally I no nothing about the Kipor except that it exists. I don't know anybody that admits to owning one.

I remember people saying almost the exact same thing to me when I bought one of the first Honda Civics back in the early 70s.  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom