Genset issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

I have a Onan genset in my 2005 Minnie, with maybe 20 hours total time. I noticed oil dripping from the air cleaner box. Upon inspection found a fair bit in the paper cleaner and in the air box. Checked the oil level, seems to be normal, not too high.
Any ideas ??

Thanks,

Jack.

I have a question which may be related.  I bought a used 2800 Onan and in the instruction manual the oil is supposed to be checked with the dipstick screwed in.  Written in it says to measure with the dipstick unscrewed per order of an Onan technician.  (or vice versa, I don't have the manual before me)  I would like to get the true answer.  There is a considerable difference in the amount of oil.
Art

>>I have a Onan genset in my 2005 Minnie, with maybe 20 hours total time. I noticed oil dripping from the air cleaner box. Upon inspection found a fair bit in the paper cleaner and in the air box. Checked the oil level, seems to be normal, not too high.
Any ideas ??<<

Is there a little tube in the Air Cleaner box coming from the side of the engine??  This would be a carankcase vent and you are getting oil from the fumes in the crankcase.  It doesn't sould good UNLESS it has been a LONG time since the air filter was changed. 

Just a thought as I have a minor situation from my lawn tractor engine.

This is a nearly new unit with maybe 20 total hours on it. We have owned the rig since new, for a little over a year.
It runs fine, but the oil in the filter can not be good. Had the same issue once with a Harley, and the crank case vent was the problem. This does not seem to have one.

There are a few posibilities.. On the not-very-expensive end is: Could the crankcase have been overfilled either at the factory or after sale?

At the other end... Well I'd rather not discuss major overhauls on a 20 hour old motor

I will leave that discussion to you and your warranty adjuster (Who can then go and change HIS underware)

Is the oil new or has it been there for a while?  Its possible the engine had some blow by while it was seating the rings for the first couple of hours.  Change the cleaner out and remove any residual oil.  Run it for a couple more hours and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom